12 volt solar panels and LED lighting advice please

bassbindevil

Joined Jan 23, 2014
Most of the cheap PWM solar charge controllers include a switched output that can turn lights on at sunset and and off after a specified time. Under $10 with USB outputs for charging gadgets and LCD display for voltage and status. Any car battery that still holds a charge should be enough to run LED lighting.

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
One more option for controlling the lights would be a motion sensor to switch the mains power to the 12 volt supply. But probably you will need to find one with a relay output instead of a triac output., because a switcher supply probably wants a close to AC feed. It may not matter with a transformer 12 volt supply. The benefit is that even if the lights are much brighter than needed they will not stay on more than half an hour.

Tonyr1084

Joined Sep 24, 2015
Well, I should receive my LED's today. I have the 18 gauge wire already and I have the 12V supplies a-plenty. I also have a timer that I can set to run the SMPS. I DO have two car batteries kicking around that I've kept charged over the years, so that would work too, but then I would probably not want to use the 12V unless I modify it to 13.6V and use a light sensor switch for the low side. Another $12 investment and I'd have everything I've been considering hooking up.

Thanks all.

Tonyr1084

Joined Sep 24, 2015
HardyMaria Thank you for the input. I've already completed my project. I'm only using a 12 volt transformer and a light sensor from Amazon to turn the lights on and off automatically. Funny, I get these grand notions and then end up going simple. OK, so they don't light up during a power failure. That's OK. We rarely have outages. And if one occurs I'll just deal with it. But thanks.