12 hour clock using only JK Flip Flops

NaluNui96

Joined Feb 21, 2013
Working on a project for school that is asking for us to contruct a twelve hour clock with minutes seconds and hours using only JK Flip Flops. Anyone have any advice or a schematic I can look at?

tshuck

Joined Oct 18, 2012
You will need to make a few different Mod-X counters. Additionally, make sure you have a stable 1Hz clock source.

For the seconds counter, you'll need a Mod-60 counter, which will enable the following Mod-60 counter for the minutes...

An overflow on the minutes enables the hours counter which is a Mod-12 counter, whose output triggers a toggle to represent AM or PM...

Enjoy...

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/560/scan560001.jpg/

Wish it were easy as buying one! This is what me and a friend of mine put together.
What game are you trying to play here? This is the exact image that tshuck posted over in your other thread. Now you are claiming it as the result of your work (and some "friend")?

Well, maybe I'm wrong. Surely if that is the case, you can explain what each part of "your" schematic does and how it relates to your 12-hour clock.

tshuck

Joined Oct 18, 2012
What game are you trying to play here? This is the exact image that tshuck posted over in your other thread. Now you are claiming it as the result of your work (and some "friend")?

Well, maybe I'm wrong. Surely if that is the case, you can explain what each part of "your" schematic does and how it relates to your 12-hour clock.
No, no, I posted the link the OP provided here on the other thread since the OP already has a schematic... Sorry if that got a bit confusing.. Sarcasm doesn't carry well on the internet....

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
I realized that you were posting a schematic from a sarcastic viewpoint, but I haven't seem any schematic that the OP already has. I just saw them post the schematic you posted claiming that it was prepared by them and "a friend".

tshuck

Joined Oct 18, 2012
little confused about the last two posts? just looking for some pointers or tutoring on the clock.
Try showing us what you did to get the seconds(or, minutes, or hours) counter working, show us what you are doing and we can look at it...

As it is, we don't want to go through all of your logic to determine what you've drawn:D

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
little confused about the last two posts? just looking for some pointers or tutoring on the clock.
You've posted a schematic, claiming that it is yours (and some "friend), but you haven't given any notion of how it is supposed to work. Since your came up with it, you need to describe how you came up with it and how it is supposed to work. Don't expect others to reverse engineer a design that you came up with.

When you post a schematic and claim it as your own, you accept the obligation to describe how it is supposed to work if you want anyone to help you determine why it doesn't work they way it is supposed to.

NaluNui96

Joined Feb 21, 2013
Tough crowd, to say the least. Yes said its something i worked on with a friend who took a electronics class back in high school last week, who tutored me and we drew this up. Half was provided from the start. Only thing is it won't work on a circuit board when I tried it. Asked for some advice from an engineer friend of my dad's, who said he hadn't seen JK Flip Flops since college, so was looking for someone familiar with FF's who could offer some advice or troubleshooting or how to incorporate the MOD-x's, after a recomendation to check with this forum, not a not a genuity accusation. Nevermind on the help. I'll keep reading the textbook.

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
How do you explect anyone to help troubleshoot a circuit when you won't tell use what the various parts of it are supposed to do? There's no way anyone can tell you what's wrong when you won't (or can't) tell us what would constitute being right.

tshuck

Joined Oct 18, 2012
This is Homework Help, meaning you provide the answers(or at least reasoning) and we ask leading questions so that you may have an, "A-Ha!" moment. We guide you to discover the answer, so, if you won't play ball, and give us some reasoning as to why this circuit works, the book is the place to go, it's rather impartial to the amount of work you put in.:)

takao21203

Joined Apr 28, 2012
Tough crowd, to say the least. Yes said its something i worked on with a friend who took a electronics class back in high school last week, who tutored me and we drew this up. Half was provided from the start. Only thing is it won't work on a circuit board when I tried it. Asked for some advice from an engineer friend of my dad's, who said he hadn't seen JK Flip Flops since college, so was looking for someone familiar with FF's who could offer some advice or troubleshooting or how to incorporate the MOD-x's, after a recomendation to check with this forum, not a not a genuity accusation. Nevermind on the help. I'll keep reading the textbook.
If your circuit does not work, you need to think about what could be the reasons.

There are plenty, from noisy signals and slowly rising signals, to wrong logic polarity, wiring mistakes, shorts, broken wires, broken chips or LEDs, missing capacitors just to name a few.

Check as much as you can with a DMM.

And design additional test circuits.

Test a partial behaviour. Attach LEDs to input and outputs.

Debugging abilities are a regular part of the design process of any kind of digital circuit.

Not just the designing ability counts, also you need to add test circuits or means of testing.

Even if you do not have an oscilloscope, you can for instance add counters, piezo buzzers, and things like that.

I have programmed I2C for the first time without a logic analyzer or an oscilloscope, only using LEDs and a piezo buzzer.