110v Synchronous AC Motor Timing

JJM213

Joined Mar 22, 2018
Hi All,
I've recently purchased a 60KTYZ 110v 18w 2.5rpm 50/60hz synchronous motor for a DIY project. The motor will be connected to a digital timer which will turn the motor on for only 1 second at various times during the day. The motor will be rotating a circular object. It's absolutely required that the motor's shaft rotates only 15 degrees during each 1 second "on" duration. *** Note: 24 "on" durations (x) 15 degrees = 360 degrees of the circle object. This DIY project is a custom pet feeder. Each 1 "on" duration moves the next feed container to the release area.

I bought and tried a $8.00 25A SCR AC Motor Speed Controller off Amazon but that didn't work at all. Maybe it was just cheap. Maybe something similar but better?

How do I slow down the motor to the exact speed needed? Is there another device that can be linked in-line with the digital timer?

Thanks,
Joshua

crutschow

Joined Mar 14, 2008
You have contradictory requirements.
The definition of a synchronous motor is that it's speed is synchronous with the input power frequency.
You can't change it's speed with an AC SCR motor speed controller as they are designed for induction or universal motors.
The only way to change a synchronous motor speed is to change the input frequency.

Why not change the time of the "on" duration to get exactly 15 degrees of rotation.
Does it have to be exactly 1 second?
You could add an adjustable one-shot timer in series with the digital timer output if needed.

Or use a limit switch to stop the rotation after exactly 15 degrees.

JJM213

Joined Mar 22, 2018
Well, i suppose it doesn't HAVE to be 1 second. That's just the lowest time value on the digital timer. The goal is the 15 degree rotation and getting that in some-what real time. So if a feed time was set for 7:00am it should have moved well before 7:01am. ha. Hope that makes sense.

JJM213

Joined Mar 22, 2018
I've read about Variable Frequency Drives (VFD). However, I'm not finding any 110v input TO 110v output. Any 110v input VFD want to have a 220v output.

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
VFD's are mainly for 3ph motors, both induction and P.M.
Are you sure it is a true synchronous motor?
There are motors of Chinese origin and they state synchronous, when in fact they are PSC motors, Permanent Start Cap induction motors.
Does yours have a capacitor? Post a picture if possible.
In any case yours is only 18w so does not fit the bill for any VFD's out there.
Max.