$100K US for a freaking Nintendo cartridge!

Metalmann

Joined Dec 8, 2012
Here's one of the comments:

"There is one going on Ebay for about $175,000.00. It's the gray cart they used in competition."

damn.:eek::cool:

spinnaker

Joined Oct 29, 2009
That particular game title is notorious for selling at extreme prices in the game collectors' circles.

Related video with more info here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fs2wczJXETM
It doesn't make it any less insane. I simply don't understand collectors. Pay thousands if mot millions of dollars to have something sit on the shelf.

Or the fools that spend $71M US on a soup can.
http://observer.com/2011/05/71-mill...arhol-colored-campbells-soup-cans-at-lm-arts/

I am sad to say this hack was a resident of my home town, Pittsburgh. He turns out trash yet the "learned" "elite" from the art community gushed all over him and continue that behavior to this day on his "work". We even dedicated a bridge here to him.

I like to compare that type of behavior to the story of the king that has not clothes. Everyone in the art community is afraid to admit gus like this turn out garbage for fear they will be ostracized by the rest of the community.

Georacer

Joined Nov 25, 2009
I won't disagree with you at all.

However, for comparison, we need to consider that otherwise insignificant items can hold significant value, at least to an individual or a small group.
We all have mementos, reminiscent of our past, which we hold very dear.

spinnaker

Joined Oct 29, 2009
I won't disagree with you at all.

However, for comparison, we need to consider that otherwise insignificant items can hold significant value, at least to an individual or a small group.
We all have mementos, reminiscent of our past, which we hold very dear.
Understandable but the mementosI have are MY mementos. I have Matchbox cars from my childhood that I really should sell but they mean a lot to me. One of my favorite tools as a child along with my Legos (which I recently gave away).

I can maybe understand a collector of toys, dolls, stamps, coins etc wanting to pay a lot of money to add to their collection. At least it is something they can look at . But a game cartridge? It would not surprise me if a true collector would never play the game.

Georacer

Joined Nov 25, 2009
See? Now you would have had a fortune because of those guys you badmouth.

My dad had kept the first issue of a quite popular comic magazine, here in Greece. All the way from the 70s! I haven't seen it in a while, but given that we rarely throw away anything, I'm pretty confident it's in a box, somewhere.

Georacer

Joined Nov 25, 2009
It would be helpful if you said who badmouthed whom.
It appears that you are addressing me, but that was my first post.
I was addressing you, but the message was universal.

We belittle those collectors who would pay $100k for a piece of plastic, copper and plexiglass, but would gladly sell them such a cartridge for profit.

But, yeah, I guess it has some merit complaining about elements of the society we would like eradicated.

Metalmann

Joined Dec 8, 2012
"But, yeah, I guess it has some merit complaining about elements of the society we would like eradicated."

Not me, I want to sell every one of those guys a $500.00 pencil.:D

Joined Nov 30, 2010
I don't remember complaining about the incredible prices collectors pay.
My usual complaint is about installing a microprocessor in everything.
Does the Nintendo cartridge have a MCU in it? If so, it probably doesn't work and it can't be repaired. If that's worth $100,000 I have a dozen Hard Drives that contain MCU's and don't work...cheap!

takao21203

Joined Apr 28, 2012
OK I take my new laptop with me in the bed when I sleep,
and a few other things too (you would not like to read it on a forum perhaps).

How much is is worth now?

t06afre

Joined May 11, 2009
OK I take my new laptop with me in the bed when I sleep,
and a few other things too (you would not like to read it on a forum perhaps).

How much is is worth now?
It is worth paying not to know. It it nice to know and need know. I think your although kindly offer ends up in the strictly need to know category:eek: