1000 years of Europe

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
War and violence are indeed primitive and tribal human behaviors, but the rise of the nation-state - a sovereign "country" with a border - is much more modern. Indeed it may have been enabled by map-making itself.

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
But I believe that the setting of boundaries by groups is just an extension of simple tribalism, protection of food supply and later value placed on human wealth etc.
Max.

JoeJester

Joined Apr 26, 2005
We should raise our expectations, not lower them.
And there are people arguing against higher expectations, as such it enters the political arena.

There are still places in this world you can live "off the grid" and your nearest neighbor is a great distance away. In fact I know of a few isolated islands.

ISB123

Joined May 21, 2014
If humans didn't invent money we would been hundred's of years ahead then we are now. Countries and religions should have been abolished since the only thing they do is pull people apart.

JoeJester

Joined Apr 26, 2005
I would tend to disagree with any author who puts people last on a list. I realize that population saturation drives the others, but no one has came up a solution to satisfy everyone, worldwide, and we know they never will without eliminating the distractors, via education, conning, or extreme prejudice.

Once one addresses a global issue, that involves political decisions by various groups. Until the UN becomes KING of the world, and rules with an iron hand, politics will rear it's ugly head in every issue, good or bad.

The UN does not want to join the League of Nations in the annuls of history. The League of Nations was formed after the War to End all Wars ... WWI.

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
Ok, gentlemen, you have crossed the line from being civil to starting to attacking each other personally.
This thread is now closed until the mods find a good reason to open it for further discussion.

GopherT

Joined Nov 23, 2012
If humans didn't invent money we would been hundred's of years ahead then we are now. Countries and religions should have been abolished since the only thing they do is pull people apart.
In America, where extroverted personalities are plentiful. competition is a great motivator and money serves as an excellent scoring system. In some other parts of the world, where finding truth or optimized systems are their own rewards, then I agree that money and patents can hinder progress.

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
Kinda goes against the flow of more than 6000 years of human development. One might ask, how can so many billions of people over so many millennia be so wrong?

Can you cite any archaeological or historical examples to support your premise? How can your theory be tested?

John

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
If humans didn't invent money we would been hundred's of years ahead then we are now.
Ahead? Where exactly?

I can't imagine how money is a drag on development. It reduces transaction costs and increases liquidity, much like the internet does now. Do you really think we'd be better off having to buy our gas and groceries and homes by amassing a pile of some commodity that is acceptable to the sellers of those things?

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
Used to be precious metals, like gold and copper coins, made by many sources. The fact is you have to have something to barter with, I have not heard a viable alternative as of yet other than money.

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
If you never travel, and don't need outside services for things like ebola or other medical issues, works I guess. Money makes travel, trade, and more possible.

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
Many people in the world get along just fine with no currency at all.
Get along just fine? By what criteria?

They may enjoy certain aspects of a simple life and we might even learn some things from them, but I doubt you could find many folks to trade places with them.

Brownout

Joined Jan 10, 2012
Get along just fine? By what criteria?

They may enjoy certain aspects of a simple life and we might even learn some things from them, but I doubt you could find many folks to trade places with them.
And of course, they pass up the chance to trade places with othes. They often have the freedom to leave and join the modern world, but make a choice to stay.

Last edited:

faley

Joined Aug 30, 2014
And so the masters manipulate the board? Not to worry. When Scotland secedes, the US will probably revert back to Britain.