100 LED (width) X 100 LED (Height) matrix

Andreas San juan

Joined Dec 3, 2015
Hi
I have a question , please to help.

HardWare : I have LED matrix (100 LED ( width) X 100 LED (height))
SoftWare: on hard disk I have many random size colored images files and using vb.net I’m able to converted any of these images into an image file of black and white pixels only - why ? in order to send this image into the LED matrix, the final image size after conversion is always ( 100 pixel width X 100 pixel height), I did image processing to convert any image on harddisk into 100 pixel X 100 pixel to send it to the LED matrix.

what I need to do is to send this image file of black and white dots into the corresponding LED and make this image scroll down on the LED matrix. for example pixel (0,0) should be sent to LED(0,0) and make it ON -if pixel is WHITE or OFF-if pixel is BLACK, pixel(1,0) should be sent to LED(1,0) until I reach pixel ( 100,100) should be sent to LED(100,100)

I need a method either parallel or serial to send these pixels(either black which is 0 or white which is 1 ) to its corresponding LED to make it ON or OFF , also I need to crawl down the image , what I mean I need this image to move from up of the LED matrix and crawl down to the end of the LED matrix.
I have uploaded some images for explanation.
1-how I can do the interface , parallel or serial ?

2- how I can control the speed of crawling ?

3-i need a fast interface method ( the rastering should be very fast )

would you please give ideas .

Thanks a lot

Attachments

GopherT

Joined Nov 23, 2012
Do you have the 100 x 100 LED panel?

Or, do you plan to build it yourself?

If you have it, what is the model number and datasheet?

Andreas San juan

Joined Dec 3, 2015
Do you have the 100 x 100 LED panel?

Or, do you plan to build it yourself?

If you have it, what is the model number and datasheet?
no , I don't have the 100x100 LED , but I do tests on 100 I have , but once I can solve the interface issue ( 10000 LED is cheap from ebay)

Andreas San juan

Joined Dec 3, 2015
May be you can start with something simpler like the ones below:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/16x16-Dot-L...586402?hash=item3d0a7728a2:g:c3QAAOSwxH1UB8RO

or

http://www.ebay.com/itm/16x32-Red-G...943362?hash=item4d2c5f9502:g:CPoAAOSwvc9WFeRU

You didn't say which mcu or mpu you're going to interface to the LED Matrix.
I sent data from PC to arduino , but arduino will be slow , because of handshake issue, also the buffer size is limitation for this. so I start to think of parallel port directly from PC. and I am now thinking to directly find 9 pin data parallel port ( 8 bit address + 1 bit ON or OFF)
Allen

GopherT

Joined Nov 23, 2012
no , I don't have the 100x100 LED , but I do tests on 100 I have , but once I can solve the interface issue ( 10000 LED is cheap from ebay)

Do you plan to turn them on as a raster (one at a time) like a TV does nor latched? Were you hoping to be able to scroll your images or will it be a "slide show" with a fixed image?

You have several hurdles.

10,000 LEDs means 20,000 connections for LEDs.
If you want to control them individually, then you will have another 20,000 connections for current limiting resistors and at least another 10,000 for connections to a chip (chips) and several sets of hierarchical chips to control those 10,000 pins.

If you want to multiplex, then you have issues with transistors and so on - figure another 40,000 solder joints.

It seems like 10,000 LEDs is workable but, in the end, a really lot of work for a low resolution picture of an apple.

On top of that, you will have a lot of current to supply 10000 LEDs, even if running at 1mA each. Running them in series is also difficult (impossible?) if trying to make a programmable picture instead of a fixed picture. This is a big project.

Andreas San juan

Joined Dec 3, 2015
Do you plan to turn them on as a raster (one at a time) like a TV does nor latched?
***like a TV raster , because every LED has to act separately ( either ON-if image pixel is white or OFF-if image pixel is black)

Were you hoping to be able to scroll your images or will it be a "slide show" with a fixed image?
*** I need to let the image scroll down ( also I'm looking of a method how to control scroll down speed - I need the speed not too fast not too slow, but convenient for human eye )

You have several hurdles.

10,000 LEDs means 20,000 connections for LEDs.
If you want to control them individually, then you will have another 20,000 connections for current limiting resistors and at least another 10,000 for connections to a chip (chips) and several sets of hierarchical chips to control those 10,000 pins.

If you want to multiplex, then you have issues with transistors and so on - figure another 40,000 solder joints.

It seems like 10,000 LEDs is workable but, in the end, a really lot of work for a low resolution picture of an apple.

On top of that, you will have a lot of current to supply 10000 LEDs, even if running at 1mA each. Running them in series is also difficult (impossible?) if trying to make a programmable picture instead of a fixed picture. This is a big project.
***I agree with you, but I was looking for the easiest interface method, but if it is hard I will leave it.