10 bit parallel in serial out shift register

Thaahoo

Joined Feb 14, 2015
Hi,
I wan to create a 10 bit parallel in serial out shift register in Multisim 12? How can I do it?

My real aim is to create a Parallel to Serial (RS232) converter. One ASCII visible character loaded in shift register should be be shifted one by one to the the serial output. 10 bits are for the ONE start bit, 8 data bits and ONE Stop bit.

Thanks in advance!

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
Before worrying about doing in in a particular version of a particular simulator, how about just doing it on paper. How would you do it?

Thaahoo

Joined Feb 14, 2015
There is a ready made 8 bit parallel in serial out shift register chip called 74HC165 and the circuit is working as expected. Now the problem is how to get a 10 bit shift register?

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
There is a ready made 8 bit parallel in serial out shift register chip called 74HC165 and the circuit is working as expected. Now the problem is how to get a 10 bit shift register?
Do you understand how the '165 works internally? If so, then use that as the pattern for making your 10 bit design? You can probably extend the '165 with some external components to make a 10-bit unit (I haven't looked at the data sheet, so I'm not positive of that, but it seems like you should be able to).

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
Sure, but first I need to see YOUR best attempt to solve YOUR homework. I can then give you hints and suggestions to guide you from where you are to where you need to be going. I've already given you some things to think about and consider. Now it's time for you to show some effort.

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
Do you understand how any of that works? How the various inputs play together to implement the various behaviors that you want?

Thaahoo

Joined Feb 14, 2015
I reached nowhere. I tried to implement the circuit as per the picture(attached) and no shifting happened. ShiftRegister.png
Please help

Thaahoo

Joined Feb 14, 2015
Tomorrow is the submission date. Can any one help me to make this as a parallel input shift register? The current one is perfectly working as a serial input one.

Last edited:

kubeek

Joined Sep 20, 2005
Couldn´t you just use those set and reset inputs to get the parallel data in? Just like in the above picture of 74165?

kubeek

Joined Sep 20, 2005
You already have it drawn in post #8. Just use however many stages you need.
If you stilll cant get it then it might be a good idea to read a datasheet from teh 74165 and find out how it works.

kubeek

Joined Sep 20, 2005
I doubt you asked that, and anyway which input line are you talking about? The parallel inputs are clearly marked A..H, and the ser input doesnt matter as you want just the preloaded contents to apper at the output, and not the data from serial input.

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
I just asked about the input line. Thank You for not helping :(
You're welcome.

I'm still waiting to see SOME effort on your part. And, no, posting a schematic of someone else's part without any effort shown toward understanding it does not count as effort.