1.8MW battery & 1.12Pumps

pinheiro77

Joined Jul 28, 2020
Hi all. i am a mechanical engineering student and working on a project. i'm struggling with the electronics aspect and have a few questions.
1. i need to supply 1.12MW to 4 industrial pumps. they operate on a voltage of 380V how do i do it
2. i need to assemble batteries to able to emit 1.8MW of energy. could someone assist me in determine how to go about it. i know i need low voltage batteries, i am looking at 2V and 500Ah (please let me know if i could do better). energy will flow out of the battery at a rate of 75KWh. the batteries will be charged by solar. i need general assistance. (i can swim but dont know where the shore is )

drc_567

Joined Dec 29, 2008
... Assuming that it is possible to assemble a large enough DC battery bank, not a small task, one way to reach the 380 vac pump requirement is to use the batteries to drive a DC motor, turning an AC generator, keeping the power requirement in mind.

drc_567

Joined Dec 29, 2008
... not direct solar cell to pump, but use the solar cell to recharge the battery bank. Again, this could get costly due to power considerations. What is your situation with the pumps? ... Remote location?

pinheiro77

Joined Jul 28, 2020
yes remote location. it is a dissertation so price isnt really important. the pump is feeding water to an upper reservoir. do you mind if i ask why. i would need to explain in my dissertation solar. thank you for your replies really appreciate it

drc_567

Joined Dec 29, 2008
... A single solar ce!! does not produce sufficient power for the application that is described. A thousand of so cells tied together might be enough, depending on the numbers. A battery bank does not require the power that the pumps require. A fraction of the pump power is sufficient to recharge the battery bank, as long as the solar cell voltage is greater than the battery voltage.

pinheiro77

Joined Jul 28, 2020
the pumps need to operate for a duration of time. the battery will be huge to supply that energy. the purpose of the battery is a back up as well. so the project is aiming at generating 75KWH to the community. the battery will suplly a maximum 607.5KW in a day over 8 hours and the solar panels and Pumped hydro electricty will do the rest. i say maximum as the project estimates for growth so it will not do it as a standard. the battery will act as a back up if the solar or hydro fails. the battery should have enough capacity for power the community for 1 day. this is (75kwh x 24 = 1.8MW). the pumps are pumping enough water to operate a turbine for 12 hours