0-5V 10kHz triangle wave generator

Janray Rabaya

Joined Mar 30, 2019
Hi All,

This is part of my thesis. I need to generate a 0V-5V 10kHz triangle wave as a carrier wave for my SPWM and as much as possible, the system is only single-supplied.

Any advice is appreciated.

Cheers,
Jay

ian field

Joined Oct 27, 2012
Hi All,

This is part of my thesis. I need to generate a 0V-5V 10kHz triangle wave as a carrier wave for my SPWM and as much as possible, the system is only single-supplied.

Any advice is appreciated.

Cheers,
Jay
You probably need the op-amp version of the "inverter" oscillator - the output will be a square wave, but there's a sawtoot on the timing capacitor. Its probably worth using a JFET source follower so the next stage doesn't mess stuff up.

crutschow

Joined Mar 14, 2008
So you want a true triangle-wave (equal rise and fall times) and not a sawtooth?
Edit: Sawtooths are generally easier to generate.

Last edited:

AnalogKid

Joined Aug 1, 2013
Since this is for *your* thesis, here is a plan: search the innergoogle for triangle wave circuits, study them, determine which properties are important to you, draw a first-pass schematic of the circuit you think will work, and post it here for comments. We don't solve homework problems, only advise.

ak

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
MOD NOTE: Moved to Homework Help where it can receive the kind of attention appropriate to an academic situation.

danadak

Joined Mar 10, 2018
Myriad of ways -

1) Drive a C with a current source/sink
2) Stored wavetable approach with DAC
3) Harmonic summation
4) Transformation, integratrion, like previously mentioned

And I am sure many more....

Regards, Dana.

TechWise

Joined Aug 24, 2018
If you integrate a square wave you will get a triangular wave.
This is one of our labs for undergrads.
  1. Build a Schmidt trigger with an op-amp
  2. Use the output to charge an RC circuit, feed the capacitor voltage back to the Schmidt trigger input to create a relaxation oscillator
  3. Build an integrator circuit to produce a triangle from the square wave.
Requires two op-amps, a handful of resistors and two capacitors. It's quick and easy.

Janray Rabaya

Joined Mar 30, 2019
You probably need the op-amp version of the "inverter" oscillator - the output will be a square wave, but there's a sawtoot on the timing capacitor. Its probably worth using a JFET source follower so the next stage doesn't mess stuff up.
So you want a true triangle-wave (equal rise and fall times) and not a sawtooth?
Yes, a true triangle waveform.

Something similar to the attached image below.

Attachments

crutschow

Joined Mar 14, 2008
So I would follow TechWise's suggestion in post #9.
You may need a high-speed op amp for the integrator if you want a good fidelity (sharp corner) triangle-wave at 10kHz.

MrAl

Joined Jun 17, 2014
Hi,

Yeah for SPWM if by that he means sine generation then yes it has to be a true triangle with equal rise and fall times. That's so that it produces a pulse that is centered on the average sine voltage wave for that period.
It is a little interesting that this is a somewhat common choice for a grad thesis project, yet not the most modern way to do it anymore.