My new laptop! :D

magnet18

Joined Dec 22, 2010

ASUS G75, 3rd gen intel i7 (ivy bridge), 8 gigs of 1600mhz ram (soon to be 16 gigs), friggin massive 1080p HD screen (I didn't get the 3D option, however), 2 fans that vent out the rear and are quieter than a rats fart, 2 hard drive bays (OCZ agility 200 gig SATA III solid state drive (for booting and programs), 1TB HDD for mass data storage), and a buncha other specs im sure im missing

I can boot in 20 ish seconds, word loads ~ instantly, I can play minecraft with max settings and heavy load from finite water mod (literally almost froze my old computer) and NO lag, haven't tried any other games yet but i'm told it'll play anything out there lag free :D

I forgot to mention, weighs in at about 10 lbs with the power brick, and I'm going to be hauling it to class all the time, but it's totally worth it for the epic power and speed!!! :D
(And I won't need to buy a new laptop until I'm like 25, win)

maxpower097

Joined Feb 20, 2009
FYI Magnet if you get a clean copy of windows on it without all the asus preloaded bs you'll boot in around 10 seconds. Our computers are nearly identical, but yours has a slightly better gp.

DerStrom8

Joined Feb 20, 2011
I recently got a new laptop myself, and will probably upgrade within the next couple of years. There's not much wrong with mine--just slow RAM.

Mine's a Lenovo Thinkpad W520, 4 gigs of RAM. Core i7 processor, 2GHz, and running Windows 7 32-bit. Will be upgrading to 64 bit (hopefully) in a matter of months. It includes speech recognition, a fingerprint reader, and a bunch of other perks. I worked out a special deal that I'll upgrade to the current laptop equivalent for little extra cost when this one is two or three years old.

magnet18

Joined Dec 22, 2010
How much did it cost ya ?
$1250 ish (plus warranty)
Nice wallpaper!
thanks :) (MY GIRLFRIEND RECOGNIZED WHAT IT WAS!! I WAS SO PROUD!!! :D)
Nice clock in the background...
I still have your boards, hoping that my college will have a dremel press and soldering station that I can use, I'll have to buddy up to the EE profs :)
Nice I went with the N55S. I thought about a G series but didn't wanna spend that much.
My old man budgeted $2000 for a laptop for all of my college, I told him this will definitely not come up short on computing power ;)
You have Steam?
Wanna play portal?
Yes, and I'd have to see about getting my PS3 copy available on my computer (can you do that?)
FYI Magnet if you get a clean copy of windows on it without all the asus preloaded bs you'll boot in around 10 seconds. Our computers are nearly identical, but yours has a slightly better gp.
Good to know, I'll be sure to clear all that asus junk out of there (asus live update was the FIRST thing I scrapped :p)
I recently got a new laptop myself, and will probably upgrade within the next couple of years. There's not much wrong with mine--just slow RAM.

Mine's a Lenovo Thinkpad W520, 4 gigs of RAM. Core i7 processor, 2GHz, and running Windows 7 32-bit. Will be upgrading to 64 bit (hopefully) in a matter of months. It includes speech recognition, a fingerprint reader, and a bunch of other perks. I worked out a special deal that I'll upgrade to the current laptop equivalent for little extra cost when this one is two or three years old.
Nice, 2nd or 3rd gen i7?
Lenovo is a good brand, solid product. :)
You might want to just think about going to windows 8, IIRC it comes out in October. I should be able to upgrade for $15 when it comes out, some microsoft promotion.

luvv

Joined May 26, 2011
Save your cash and stick w/ the 8 Gigs of RAM,put 16 in my new build and still have yet to use it.
Trans-coding,archiving,and browsing the net never even gets me 50%...
The only way to see it max is w/ a stress test program and who uses those for fun?
What you end up w/ for all the extra $ is a little more weight and a little more stress on the ol PSU.
Other wise, nice laptop,ASUS is really carving out their place in the gaming idustry and I bet Dell and others are noticing.

Sparky49

Joined Jul 16, 2011
"Yes, and I'd have to see about getting my PS3 copy available on my computer (can you do that?)"

Yes I think so.

Add me on PSN if you want to - "SuperSpit95"

magnet18

Joined Dec 22, 2010
"Yes, and I'd have to see about getting my PS3 copy available on my computer (can you do that?)"

Yes I think so.

Add me on PSN if you want to - "SuperSpit95"
will do :)
(but not to day, busy :p)

Save your cash and stick w/ the 8 Gigs of RAM,put 16 in my new build and still have yet to use it.
The only way to see it max is w/ a stress test program and who uses those for fun?
What you end up w/ for all the extra $ is a little more weight and a little more stress on the ol PSU.
Other wise, nice laptop,ASUS is really carving out their place in the gaming idustry and I bet Dell and others are noticing.
Will do, thanks for the advice :)

And yea, they are, ever since ailenware went down the tubes under dells management. :p

maxpower097

Joined Feb 20, 2009
Plus I find the upgrade costs too much for the amount you gain. I thought about it too.

magnet18

Joined Dec 22, 2010
Uninstalled all the asus bloatware, boot time is a splendid ~15 (slightly less, i was counting kinda fast) seconds :D

DerStrom8

Joined Feb 20, 2011
thanks :) (MY GIRLFRIEND RECOGNIZED WHAT IT WAS!! I WAS SO PROUD!!! :D)
You've got a keeper there, magnet :D

Nice, 2nd or 3rd gen i7?
Lenovo is a good brand, solid product. :)
You might want to just think about going to windows 8, IIRC it comes out in October. I should be able to upgrade for $15 when it comes out, some microsoft promotion.
2nd generation, I think. I've tried a windows 8 trial and absolutely hated it. The user interface is completely destroyed, and it's nearly impossible to figure out what to do to navigate it. I really despised the layout, and I will stick with windows 7 as long as I possibly can!

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
Last I checked games haven't given up on XP yet, but hey, I don't play games.

I suspect MicroSoft may have taken some wrong turns. An OS for a tablet is not the best for the desktop. We'll see.

Georacer

Joined Nov 25, 2009
C'mon bertus. You can't be over 30 and claim that you are a gamer. Everybody knows that responsibilities kill the gamer inside you.

Those games just don't cut it.