Do i really need termination resistor in very short distance of rs485

anhnha

Joined Apr 19, 2012
I have a problem when communicate between 2 computer use max232, max485 and 555.But the data that I have received is wrong.I have add termination resistor but it is not effect.Then I remove it and it work for a while then it is wrong again?

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
You have to show your circuit diagram.
What computers are you using to send and receive the data?
Are you using a crystal?

jimkeith

Joined Oct 26, 2011
Non-standard RS232 drivers e.g. LM555 working against ground potential sometimes function without a negative supply--it depends upon the threshold level in your computer(s)--however, the signal zero level may be so close to the threshold that it may be flaky and not work all the time--I have seen this--make sure that the data voltage signal actually swings negative per the RS232 specification.

Last edited:

anhnha

Joined Apr 19, 2012
Thanks.
You have to show your circuit diagram
Yes.I have just my circuit.
What computers are you using to send and receive the data?
I used a PC to send and received.I want to test it at home before used it in fact.
Are you using a crystal?
No.My circuit is quite simple but I don't know why it is not work.I used the schematic in this:http://www.bb-elec.com/bb-elec/literature/485ptbr-3903ds.pdf
and built it in breabboard.But It is not work.
I even received data without power supply and GND of comm port.As for the GND of comm port is conneced and power is tied it is not work.I think my circuit is have no problem.

Attachments

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
Generally speaking, yes, the A and B lines must be properly biased.
I put a 1kΩ resistor from VCC to pin-6 (A), a 220Ω resistor from A to B, and a 1kΩ resistor from pin-7 (B) to GND.

Do this at only one end of the RS-485 line.