Zone Valve Timing and Wiring

diymechanicalguy

Joined Jul 23, 2018
Hi all - new here and just looking for some generic advice on wiring up some zone valves.
I'm looking to use something similar to this: https://tameson.com/electric-ball-v...ric-ball-valve-1inch-2-way-12vdc-3-point.html

I believe zone valves usually have a limit switch, or something similar, to detect when the valve is fully open to then turn on the pump/boiler to send the water. Since this valve doesn't have that, and a 16s delay, should I just set a timer in my thermometer to turn on the pump/boiler after 16 seconds from the signal to the valve? Should I add more than 16 seconds?

Thanks in advance.

Reloadron

Joined Jan 15, 2015
This all depends on the system you have. Just as an example what happens if you send power to the valve and the valve fails to open and then 16 seconds (or prescribed time later) you turn your pump on? The pump will be working into a deadhead. If it's not critical then it doesn't matter but if the pump can't work into a deadhead you run the risk of burning up your pump. The valve you chose takes about 6 seconds to go closed to open so I don't see where anything over 10 seconds really matters. Motorized ball valves come with or without limit switches, you chose a valve without. So back to how much does it matter to the pump?

Zone valves are generally used with multiple zones but you seem to describe a single zone.

Ron