Your Workbench.

Voltboy

Joined Jan 10, 2007
Hello guys.
I don't know if this is the appropriated forum.

This post is for everyone to post pictures from his workbench and a few description of things of the workbench. so everyone else can get ideas to maintain a clean, ordered workbench.

I'll start with my workbench.
I store everything on a shelve in my closet, and I work in my desk where the computer is. I got very little quantity of component.
You can see the parts plastic case and on the right some tools like the DMM, my pretty small breadboard, the soldering iron and some other things. And on the back there is a couple of books :D

And here is the photo of the plastic case opened and you can see all my
components..:(

bloguetronica

Joined Apr 27, 2007
Hello guys.

This post is for everyone to post pictures from his workbench and a few description of things of the workbench. so everyone else can get ideas to maintain a clean, ordered workbench.

I store everything on a shelve in my closet, and I work in my desk where the computer is. I got very little quantity of component.
You can see the parts plastic case and on the right some tools like the DMM, my pretty small breadboard, the soldering iron and some other things. And on the back there is a couple of books :D

components..:(
Nice bench!

You have tons of resistors and few ICs. Well, I suffer from the opposite desease: I have tons of ICs and few resistors and capacitors. My two jewel ICs are a Z80 processor (4MHz, N-MOS I think) and a rare SN74185 binary to BCD decoder. The former was the last one in stock when I bought it. There are no more ICs like that.

Just a question: You don't seem to reuse components like resistors or LEDs. Do you discard them?
Sorry for my question, but I don't see used components (except the ones on the breadboard).

Dave

Joined Nov 17, 2003
Hello guys.

You can see the parts plastic case and on the right some tools like the DMM, my pretty small breadboard, the soldering iron and some other things. And on the back there is a couple of books

components..
You're way too organised for me!! I'm moving my workstation and workbench at work tomorrow so will get a picture then. My current set-up is too messy to put up in a public forum!

This is one of my workbenches....

Daniel.
Wow! Impressive. You couldn't work in there with a hangover!

seems like dexters lab
Lol! :D I love Dexter's Lab!

Dave

HarveyH42

Joined Jul 22, 2007
This is the main bench for electronics. The whole room is stuffed with drawers, cabnents, and boxes of parts, boards, and salvage. Finished boards, and works in progress clutter the house. I have another room were I etch boards, and do more mechanical or larger work. Mostly where I use power tools, and keep most of my tools. All a cluttered mess, but I can usually find what I need in just a few minutes.

Attachments

recca02

Joined Apr 2, 2007
This is the main bench for electronics. The whole room is stuffed with drawers, cabnents, and boxes of parts, boards, and salvage. Finished boards, and works in progress clutter the house. I have another room were I etch boards, and do more mechanical or larger work. Mostly where I use power tools, and keep most of my tools. All a cluttered mess, but I can usually find what I need in just a few minutes.
&that would be the busiest workbench:p

Lol! I love Dexter's Lab!
then i think we will son be seeing mandarks lab too :D.
Originally Posted by lightingman
This is one of my workbenches....

Daniel.
there are more!

thingmaker3

Joined May 16, 2005
I paid a guy eight bucks to tear up my workbench and pile the wood in the driveway last night.:( All my toys and goodies are in cardboard boxes in storage.:mad:

Once we've sold this place and are out in the country, my Wife says I can build my dream workshop.:D

lightingman

Joined Apr 19, 2007
Ah no ! I am not in a cage "YET" !!!!!

Mind you, to be locked in my workshop for a few years would be quite nice :)....
You see, I only manage to get one or two evenings a month in there, and that can be quite frustrating:mad:...... I think my friends use it more than me.....

Here are all the benches (after a quick tidy-up)..... At the other end of the workshop is the vertical mill and lathe.... On one of the benches is the pick and place machine that I bought last year, that I have only had time to use once (even more frustrating):mad:.....

When one of you build a time extending machine, please let me know:cool: !!!!.....

Daniel.

Attachments

bloguetronica

Joined Apr 27, 2007
Ah no ! I am not in a cage "YET" !!!!!

Mind you, to be locked in my workshop for a few years would be quite nice :)....
You see, I only manage to get one or two evenings a month in there, and that can be quite frustrating:mad:...... I think my friends use it more than me.....

Here are all the benches (after a quick tidy-up)..... At the other end of the workshop is the vertical mill and lathe.... On one of the benches is the pick and place machine that I bought last year, that I have only had time to use once (even more frustrating):mad:.....

When one of you build a time extending machine, please let me know:cool: !!!!.....

Daniel.
Don't get me wrong. I thought you were on one of those warehouses with metallic grids separating the compartiments, thus having a corridor and selves behind that metallic grid.

You have more components than my local store.

lightingman

Joined Apr 19, 2007
Oh, I see what you mean.....No it's just my little workshop at the end of the garden, although I could do with a wharehouse, as I am running out of space. Mind you, a wharehouse would not be quite so cosey as my little sacred hideaway....Just a little story though.... My ex-partner once got the ache with me, snuck into the workshop and emptied about 150 of my component draws all over the benches, so I locked her in there until she had replaced every component into the correct draws. It all sounds quite bad but she is still my bestest friend in the world, and we laugh about it now.....Daniel.

bloguetronica

Joined Apr 27, 2007
... My ex-partner once got the ache with me, snuck into the workshop and emptied about 150 of my component draws all over the benches, so I locked her in there until she had replaced every component into the correct draws. It all sounds quite bad but she is still my bestest friend in the world, and we laugh about it now.....Daniel.
What can I say? Women!

David Bridgen

Joined Feb 10, 2005
I haven't a decent picture of my bench - perhaps I shall take one or two, but to one side, on one of the shelves, is one of the cat's beds.

His route to it is up on my knees (if I'm at the computer) onto the computer's table, along the window shelf at the side, onto the bench and along it to the shelf at the other end.

There, took one. Bit of a bugger's muddle at the moment.

Dave

Joined Nov 17, 2003
I haven't a decent picture of my bench - perhaps I shall take one or two, but to one side, on one of the shelves, is one of the cat's beds.

His route to it is up on my knees (if I'm at the computer) onto the computer's table, along the window shelf at the side, onto the bench and along it to the shelf at the other end.

There, took one. Bit of a bugger's muddle at the moment.

David, your set-up is about as organised as mine! :D

You know as well as I do, if someone moved something from there you'd know about it!

Will add mine soon - I may need to do a little spring-clean just to keep some dignity! OOO tomorrow so will get a picture on Thursday.

Dave

Voltboy

Joined Jan 10, 2007
Just a question: You don't seem to reuse components like resistors or LEDs. Do you discard them?
Sorry for my question, but I don't see used components (except the ones on the breadboard).
If you mean reusing components is salvaging from stuff that don't work, I got some pieces from an alarm/clock but I really suck at taking out the resistors and capacitors, I always finish out with the PCB all burned and my room stinks.
And well I don't reuse components from other projects because the workbench had about 3 days since I ordered all, and I didn't made enough projects, I'm working on a little power box and then a line following robot.
That IC's are 555 timers, a comparator and a voltage regulator

Hey, lightingman, your workbench is greatttt... Here in Panama there is not even a store with that many components, they just have resistors capacitos and a few IC's and they charge like 15 cents each 1/4 watt resistor :( so I have to order everything...

HarveyH42

Joined Jul 22, 2007
Wow David, glad to see that my bench is normal. I think the clutter comes from too many projects going on at one time.

Salvaged components... Sport best played outside. Guess that's easier to say from Florida. But the fumes can't be good for you, and linger for days. I use a torch (propane, not a flashlight for you UK guys), and a 5 gallon bucket to catch the solder and falling parts. I clamp the PCB to a 2x4 (or anything handy that will rest across the bucket. With the components facing down, start melting solder. Some parts fall right out, others will come out if you slap the edge of the board against the bucket. Watch out for flying beads of solder...