You Can Know This About My Private Life

t06afre

Joined May 11, 2009
Private?I am in pregnancy:eek::D, 15W+
Congratulation. I hope it will be a good pregnancy. And by all means take advantages of your pregnancy. Like leaving much of the boring household work to your husband. So you just can concentrate your self about being pregnant. It may be that this possibility to train him in housework. Will not come back.

DerStrom8

Joined Feb 20, 2011
Congratulations, happyganl! I wish all the best to you and your family (including the member on its way :D)

Keep us posted!
Der Strom

JoeJester

Joined Apr 26, 2005
My grandson is reading the latest Star Wars book. It was in the adult section of the library. He's nine.

The two weeks loan period ends this Wednesday. When we got the book out, he stated we might have to check it out again if he doesn't finish it. Right then and there, I made him a bet. I told him if he finishes it, I will take him to see Transformers in 3D. Being the smart a$$ that he is, he want to know what he would get if he didn't finish it on time. I then told him the reward side had a risk. If he doesn't finish it, I'd throw him in the dumpster. I told him all he had to do is read 30 pages per day and he would be complete the book on time.

As of friday, he had about 120 pages left to read. I'm sure he'll be on the reward side of the risk/reward balance beam.

loosewire

Joined Apr 25, 2008
Loosewire first on the Forum to ask to be the Godfather to Happyganls child.
If a baby crys you pat the baby gently on the back to burp It ,after that you
you offer the baby a drink of water,most people offer milk not thinking the baby
may be happy to a have drink of water.Put the baby to bed on Its back.When crying
check the diaper,have powder handy.There a special ointment for rash,will get the
name of the product.When holding the baby support the babies neck..more to
come.How good of a god father would you be,do you know to mix a little strained fruit
with the pablum.

Last edited:

JoeJester

Joined Apr 26, 2005
It's official. The grandson completed his reading on time, actually one day early. So, Thursday it's off to see Transformers in 3D.

He's making out like a bandit. Grandma gives him a trip to Chuck E Cheese for every five hours of reading during the summer. He collected a few trips from this book in addition to the movie deal.

I'll be taking him to the library tomorrow to return this book and pick up another.

strantor

Joined Oct 3, 2010
It's official. The grandson completed his reading on time, actually one day early. So, Thursday it's off to see Transformers in 3D.

He's making out like a bandit. Grandma gives him a trip to Chuck E Cheese for every five hours of reading during the summer. He collected a few trips from this book in addition to the movie deal.

I'll be taking him to the library tomorrow to return this book and pick up another.
You grandparents are absolutely the worst thing that can happen to a kid. Worse than violence on T.V. I swear. Had to leave my daughter with the grandparents for a few months and now she is spoiled probably beyond recovery. Literally, it will take years to undo what they did in only a few short months. At least you are giving rewards for good behaviour (still sounds way to too heavy on the awards IMO); my in-laws just rewarded her whatever she wanted for whatever reason. Reward her if she's good, reward her if she screams, reward her just because. reward reward. She feels entitled now, so she screams when you don't give her what she wants, and keeps screaming for hours, waiting for you to break down. Never again. weekend trips only. If I ever have to go out of the country again, I will pay 1500$/week for a german caretaker named Helga who carries baton.

I hear grandparents talk about such things comically, like it's all a big joke; spoil the grandkids, hahaha! makes me sick. I hope in a cruel twist of fate they have a menopause baby - would serve them right.

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
You miss the point entirely. It is revenge, well earned, for what you or your mrses put them through. Look into your heart, you know it to be true.

strantor

Joined Oct 3, 2010
You miss the point entirely. It is revenge, well earned, for what you or your mrses put them through. Look into your heart, you know it to be true.
And this suposed torment we inflicted; might it have been as a result of being spoiled by our grandparents? Somebody somewhere needs to grow up; let it go; break the cycle, because this sucks.

JoeJester

Joined Apr 26, 2005
Yeah, Grandparents can spoil, and most do. However, there is risk and rewards for behaviors.

This was his first book from the adult section of the library and he needed to understand some time management. Yeah, he gets spoiled. Everyday at the grandparents house he has some school work, on various topics, as well as reading, playing on the computer, and other activities.

When school is in session, as soon as he hits the house, it's time to do the homework. After homework, he can watch TV till his parents pick him up on their way home from work.

You can say we spoiled him, and to some extent I can believe it. After all, we got the oldest, our step-grandson, a notebook and CD drive for his first Christmas/Birthday present in our family. I see that as an investment. I also know the dangers of misuse of such tools. That is where adult supervision comes into play.

Back in the mid 90s I've recommended to parents to supervisor their child's use of the internet whenever I sold a computer. I went as far as to show them about usenet newsgroups and other hazards that lurk on the web. Everything has a risk/reward scenario.

When we installed the internet at the local high school, we also installed net nanny. To test net nanny, a group of six adults tried to search and surf to every adult site they could dream of ... that too was back in the mid 90s, at a small town of 1700.

Do grandparents spoil ... oh yeah. Do some spoil excessively ... sure. Do I? I'd have to ask my step-son ... who by the way, I suprised with a batch of smoked salmon on the 4th. He's been wanting me to smoke some for a long time.

I guess if I'm still around 30 or 40 years from now, I'll ask you how are you spoiling your grandkids. :D

Last edited:

Georacer

Joined Nov 25, 2009
I think I 've heard somewhere that it is anti-educational to reward a kid or a teenager for any educational process he does. That way he won't embrace knowledge for what it is, but he will do it only for net profit.
The same could be said for good manners and kindness. In that prospect, I wouldn't want my kid to be a calculative hypocrite.

It might be better if you unrelated the rewards with the efforts. Give your kid candy or make him presents in different times than when he completes his tasks.
That way we won't connect rewards with effort, because, let's face it, it doesn't work that way in real life.

On top of that, you appear to be generous and kind to your kid for no apparent reason in that way, a value that I think kids also need to learn.

loosewire

Joined Apr 25, 2008
Slow down guys every family is different from the top down
Direct points without knowing that family from the inside is
not sound ground.Later when your kids grow up and now
at events you will look around and see what family is showing
up to give support that come in different ways just being
there.Time healed or make things worst.

JoeJester

Joined Apr 26, 2005
You can't always be the disciplinarian. Nuturing has it's place. Rewards have many forms ... pay raises, promotions, etc. I doubt people go to college for the pure educational aspect, there may be some, but you can bet most go for the prospect of a better paying job.

Nuturing is what many do on this site. I wouldn't expect less from them in their life outside of electronics.

Rewards take many forms. Besides, I've seen the other two transformers movies with my great-nephew. If he were in TX, he'd be coming along also.

I got the tickets today at Studio Movie Grill. Lunch at the big screen.

Today it's time to visit the library ... to get another book.

Adjuster

Joined Dec 26, 2010
You grandparents are absolutely the worst thing that can happen to a kid. Worse than violence on T.V. I swear. Had to leave my daughter with the grandparents for a few months and now she is spoiled probably beyond recovery. Literally, it will take years to undo what they did in only a few short months. At least you are giving rewards for good behaviour (still sounds way to too heavy on the awards IMO); my in-laws just rewarded her whatever she wanted for whatever reason. Reward her if she's good, reward her if she screams, reward her just because. reward reward. She feels entitled now, so she screams when you don't give her what she wants, and keeps screaming for hours, waiting for you to break down. Never again. weekend trips only. If I ever have to go out of the country again, I will pay 1500$/week for a german caretaker named Helga who carries baton.

I hear grandparents talk about such things comically, like it's all a big joke; spoil the grandkids, hahaha! makes me sick. I hope in a cruel twist of fate they have a menopause baby - would serve them right.
This sounds quite disturbing: perhaps having been left "with the grandparents for a few months" has had other effects on your daughter than simply being being spoiled. Depending on the child's age at the time, a lengthy enforced separation from parents can lead to long-term problems of insecurity and loss of trust.

If she is literally screaming for hours, a medical consultation may be more productive than employing a German to hit her with a stick.