Ym2608b (aka OPNA) fm synthesis IC prototyping breakout board.

Dustytrails42

Joined Jul 4, 2018
I've recently been getting into building my own modular synths and fx. So I bought a couple of chips (ym2608/opna 64-dip) on a whim without doing a lot of research on it when I got them I realized the pitch of the pins are not the usual breadboard width. I was wondering if anyone out there has experience with these chips or at least info on a pre-made breakout board of some type. I've tried searching 64dip 1.7mm pitch boards with no luck. If nothing is available I'll just have to custom design my own pcb and have a few made since doing that is pretty cheap these days and I've never done it so that would be a cool experience. Any info at all is appreciated. Thanks y'all.

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
Welcome to AAC.

A pitch of 1.7 mm is unusual (about 0.066"). Here are the available pitches from a large distributor:
upload_2018-7-4_6-39-4.png

How accurately did you measure the pitch? One option is to design your own adapter and send it off to a commercial board house. Your net price per adapter might well be less than it you purchase it.

Finally, there are numerous suppliers of adapters from one form factor to another, e.g., SOIC to DIP. This is just one source: http://schmartboard.com/ Major distributors (e.g., Mouser and Digikey) also list adapters from various suppliers. As implied above, I could not find anything for that pitch.

Dustytrails42

Joined Jul 4, 2018
My measurement of the pitch is definitely inaccurate I used an inch scale and converted that to mm. I've got some calipers on the way though. I love a good excuse to buy a new tool. For some reason the data sheet for this chip doesn't contain any physical specs in all its 50+ page glory. I'll take some accurate measurements and do some more searching. Thanks a bunch for the info.

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
I also checked the DS. Besides not having the layout dimensions, it was a little tricky to find one in English. A standard SOIC chip is 0.05"(1.27 mm). The other common "large" dimension is 2 mm, which you will find on some LCD displays among other places. Another place to look are the small JST connectors. If you have some of those devices laying about, you might try lining them up and checking.

If you have a PCB layout program, you could layout various pitches, print them 1:1, and check that way too. If you happen to have Eagle, I could draw something up relatively quickly for you to use. If you do have Eagle, which version?