YellowStone Eruption Predicted 2050 - Extinction Level Event

Should we try to build an Ark (or more than 1) as described or let it happen?

• Create Ark(s)

Votes: 1 33.3%
  • Slather on SPF50, pull up the lawn-chair and grab a bear when it goes up

Votes: 2 66.7%

• Total voters

BobaMosfet

Joined Jul 1, 2009
I recently watched a 2 hour documentrary on Yellowstone National Park in the midwest US. As of 2014, scientists have revised their estimate of 2075 by about -25 years, to bring the expected eruption to about 2050. In many ways it has been difficult to tell if Yellowstone is a threat because multiple indicators fluctuated. That changed in 2014 with the defacto=standard release of gases that indicate magma is nearing the surface, indicating that an actual erruption is much closer at hand, and not purely theoretical in any event. Furthermore, the Whitehouse has restricted information on Earthquakes and Gas Emissions by order to the USGS.

This is not a joke. This is very real, and the threat to mankind is real. Expected lifespan immediately following eruption is 5-7 minutes, because the atmosphere will be so poisoned, life will die. This supercedes the solar blackout, material fallout, and all other aspects.

Does anybody have a bonafide, feasible plan, or is this just 'it'? I can see a way to make a shelter for a few people that would last for some time, given several million dollars- you have to have food, air, water, medical, farming (animal storage/care)--- and this must withstand several initial years, let alone the longer period afterwards for revegetation, and any chance of mammalian life to return beyond what you've gathered into the facility.

Anyone's thoughts?

*I meant grab a 'beer', not a 'bear'-- but will it matter? :)

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
We live our lives on a razor’s edge, surrounded by risks. We can influence only a few of those risks and that’s probably a better use of our time. Eruption of Yellowstone isn’t among those. So hold my bear :D and watch this!

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
“Wanton dissipation” is a good euphemism for life itself. We burn energy to decrease our own entropy at the expense of the entropy of the universe as a whole. We eventually lose that race.

cmartinez

Joined Jan 17, 2007
I recently watched a 2 hour documentrary on Yellowstone National Park in the midwest US. As of 2014, scientists have revised their estimate of 2075 by about -25 years, to bring the expected eruption to about 2050. In many ways it has been difficult to tell if Yellowstone is a threat because multiple indicators fluctuated. That changed in 2014 with the defacto=standard release of gases that indicate magma is nearing the surface, indicating that an actual erruption is much closer at hand, and not purely theoretical in any event. Furthermore, the Whitehouse has restricted information on Earthquakes and Gas Emissions by order to the USGS.

This is not a joke. This is very real, and the threat to mankind is real. Expected lifespan immediately following eruption is 5-7 minutes, because the atmosphere will be so poisoned, life will die. This supercedes the solar blackout, material fallout, and all other aspects.

Does anybody have a bonafide, feasible plan, or is this just 'it'? I can see a way to make a shelter for a few people that would last for some time, given several million dollars- you have to have food, air, water, medical, farming (animal storage/care)--- and this must withstand several initial years, let alone the longer period afterwards for revegetation, and any chance of mammalian life to return beyond what you've gathered into the facility.

Anyone's thoughts?

*I meant grab a 'beer', not a 'bear'-- but will it matter? :)
In all seriousness, can you please share with us what your sources are? I know that Yellowstone is a volcano like no other, and have no doubt about how powerful it is, but claiming a "prediction" of an eruption is something entirely new to me.

hqdefault.jpg

justtrying

Joined Mar 9, 2011
I have been living on BC coast for 20 years now and "the Big One" has been coming and/or is overdue set to wipe out the entire west coast of N. America generally destroying all of the major cities. I have moved further north into a more rural mountainous terrain where areas are less populated and ground more stable. I did not move here because of the fear of an earthquake, but because of lower cost of living. Here I can be taken out by an avalanche or a rock slide while driving to the next city. Beats being stuck in traffic.

Life is short, make sure you eat well. I had the most delicious cheesecake this weekend.

joeyd999

Joined Jun 6, 2011
... and nuclear power... which unfortunately has fallen prey to political histerya...
Yes! According to any number of docudramas (as broadcast on the SciFi Channel), a strategically placed nuke is the ultimate solution to almost any impending global calamity.

BR-549

Joined Sep 22, 2013
Worry? It's all attitude. The volcano will emit an unknown compound that will neutralize GW and give us free food and free clean energy forever.