Years worth of parts saving

Helpful Parts

Joined Sep 20, 2020
Hi I am new to this site, i am not into electronics, my reason for being here is my Father in law who just turned 90 years old, work most of his life at what was Western Electric in Allentown Pa. worked in the repair center to keep the equipment working there, took many items that where being thrown out removed all types of tranisitor , diodes, all types of electronic parts from them, has draws of these parts would like to sale off all he has saved up for years to some one who can make use of them, before he passes on. if not most likely when he does pass, all will just be thrown out. just looking for any one who might like to clean out all of his items, i could work to make some type of list . Thank You for your thoughts.

panic mode

Joined Oct 10, 2011
sounds interesting, i would say post some pictures of things you find there and quantities, size, weight... anyone interested would need to know what to expect in terms of shipping.

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
There are AAC members who live nearby around Allentown and Philadelphia. That would avoid having to pay for shipping.

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
Obsolete could still be precious.
I was doing repair work for a customer yesterday and I needed to replace a 2N3638, nowhere to be found except on eBay.
As it turns out I had some in my stock!

dl324

Joined Mar 30, 2015
just looking for any one who might like to clean out all of his items, i could work to make some type of list . Thank You for your thoughts.
Have your Father In Law help you identify, sort, and price. Then post the info in Marketplace.

I'd be interested in some vintage parts, but would prefer parts known to be good.

schmitt trigger

Joined Jul 12, 2010
There are a couple of ways to sell old stock:

1- Bulk, As Is. People will be interested only at very low prices. Emphasis on “low”.

But since this is from someone who worked at Western Electric, I would suggest the following:

2- Sorted but untested. A little higher price but not much.
However You may still find a mother lode. For instance, if you find some authentic Western Electric 300B tubes, those will be worth a fortune.

3- Sorted and tested.
Lots of work. You will throw away a lot of junk, but I am quite sure you could actually hit a jackpot.
That is the Holy Grail. Some early types of transistors or tubes are really valuable. More so if they are New Old Stock in their original packages.

John P

Joined Oct 14, 2008
I have an ominous feeling about this. Most collections of random components are unsorted piles of mixed stuff. Maybe there's something really valuable there, but there's no way to know what's in the collection, and even if you believed something you wanted was there, it would take all day to find it. I think the only way this stuff could be useful would be if he has it all sorted, labeled and cataloged. And nobody's ever going to do that with a hoard of salvaged components.

Helpful Parts

Joined Sep 20, 2020
Hi I am new to this site, i am not into electronics, my reason for being here is my Father in law who just turned 90 years old, work most of his life at what was Western Electric in Allentown Pa. worked in the repair center to keep the equipment working there, took many items that where being thrown out removed all types of tranisitor , diodes, all types of electronic parts from them, has draws of these parts would like to sale off all he has saved up for years to some one who can make use of them, before he passes on. if not most likely when he does pass, all will just be thrown out. just looking for any one who might like to clean out all of his items, i could work to make some type of list . Thank You for your thoughts.
thank you i will work on that , thank you again

dl324

Joined Mar 30, 2015
thank you i will work on that , thank you again
Make sure you classify them appropriately (new old stock, salvaged, etc). New old stock will be more valuable if they were stored and handled correctly. Some parts are static sensitive, so make sure you know how to handle the parts. Your FIL should be able to help with that.