Yamaha CLP 120 - why stuck voice setting on switching it on?

plumberc

Joined Nov 27, 2021
On switching it on, the voice will go to the organ setting. I can't change it to other settings when I press the respective buttons.

I will be opening up the piano to fix a broken key. So I would also like to see what can I check and fix the above problem.

What are the top 2 common causes of "stuck" electronic settings?

Many thanks.

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
Welcome to AAC!

I am going to guess a stuck key or button.
While you are at it, clean all the key contacts with IPA (isopropyl alcohol) on a cotton swab.

plumberc

Joined Nov 27, 2021
Welcome to AAC!

I am going to guess a stuck key or button.
While you are at it, clean all the key contacts with IPA (isopropyl alcohol) on a cotton swab.
Thanks.

I have pressed the lit button as well as others, no change.

I have also powered off, unplugged the cable, waited for 10 sec and replugged it in. Problem is still there.

I will clean the contacts as suggested.

absf

Joined Dec 29, 2010
Here's the block diagram of clp120
clp120_block.PNG
All switches of the front panel are connected to connectors between PNR/PNL PCB to DM pcb. Either the connector cn201 or cn1 are not making proper contacts. It can also be due to 3-8 decoder or pnp driver faulty..

plumberc

Joined Nov 27, 2021
Here's the block diagram of clp120
View attachment 253760
All switches of the front panel are connected to connectors between PNR/PNL PCB to DM pcb. Either the connector cn201 or cn1 are not making proper contacts. It can also be due to 3-8 decoder or pnp driver faulty..
Noted and many thanks! Will open up the piano and check, clean it soon.

plumberc

Joined Nov 27, 2021
Removed the top board cover. Want to remove the key cover. Dont know how. The configuration does not look like in the drawing, especially the part highlighted in yellow. Maybe there are 2 versions of CLP120. Anyone with a different drawing? Hope so. Thanks.

Attachments

plumberc

Joined Nov 27, 2021
Went to 2 shops and could not find any IPA. Will hand wash alcohol do?

Did some vacuuming inside and followed by a gentle paint brush cleaning on the ICB.

Some successes. Now can use some of the buttons but it reverted back to piano 1 and organ1 combo. My original problem is this combo setting where I could not select other buttons.

Any big tip for me to follow up to get to my next major level? Many thanks.