World's highest bridge opens to traffic in southwest China

GopherT

Joined Nov 23, 2012
Hello,

The bridge crosses a valley at 570 meter height:

Bertus
For reference, Freedom Tower in NYC is 546 meters.

According to the video, the whole bridge cost less than $150M - must be a conversation error or multiple sources of funding that were left off the total - even with low labor, the energy to make and transport that much concrete and steel has to be in that range.

dannyf

Joined Sep 13, 2015
The bridge crosses a valley at 570 meter height:
breath taking.

china also has 2x of the highway and infinite-x of highspeed rails than the US, #1 in steel production and #1 in concrete production, than multiple runner-ups combined.

when they are building in infrastructure, production and human capital, we are spending a fortune on welfare programs, feeding the lazy bums, aiding foreigners who hate us, providing defense overseas where people spit in our faces.

a nice job, politicians.

dannyf

Joined Sep 13, 2015
I don't know of any U.S. companies that have had to install fences and nets.
very few.

to compensate for that, they have to pay for their employees sessions with their favorite shrinks, or to buy policies that cover maternal treatment for their elderly or male employees, etc.

dannyf

Joined Sep 13, 2015
the thing that people tend to fail to understand is that everything in life is a compromise. different peoples, and different cultures tend to make different compromises.

the fact that someone else made a different compromise by and of itself does not mean they made the wrong compromise and we made the right compromise.

the chinese have a lot of things that aren't close to being good, and we have a lot of things that aren't close to being good either. there is no point in using isolated events to justify the compromise we made, or to de-legitimize the compromise others made.

we should be comfortable in our own skin and learn from others and try to understand why they made the kind of compromises they made and see if our doing it would make us better.

otherwise, we will be dumb as rock, forever.

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
Weren't you the one complaining about regulations on US employers - like minimum wage? Now you seem supportive of regulations. What's changed?
Huh? How does a bad joke about Foxconn workers jumping off a bridge get us to U.S. labor policy?

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
Yes, you seem to pull the "joke" excuse as soon as I point out that you've contradicted your previous opinions.
I'm still lost. You're correct that I'm not a fan of government regulation of market prices, such as the minimum wage. What I'm missing is any connection of that to the bridge in China.

GopherT

Joined Nov 23, 2012
I'm still lost. You're correct that I'm not a fan of government regulation of market prices, such as the minimum wage. What I'm missing is any connection of that to the bridge in China.

Now your playing dumb or what. You were the one to bring up the poor working conditions at FoxConn. How's your Alzheimer's medication working?

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
I did no such thing. All I alluded to was the morbid fact that a lot of them commit suicide by jumping, and might find the world's highest bridge useful for that.