Working on a project and looking for help / partner.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Travm

Joined Aug 16, 2016
So you haven't designed it yet, but you have it priced... does that include boxes, freight, freight again, your time, etc? doubt it. It'll be 100-200 @ 1000pcs. And don't forget the time of your prospective partner.

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
Actually you are wrong regarding the payoff. The market is there and I know it because I am part of that market. There is a big community of these specific cars and they all have issues with this board simply because it is old. I already proposed my idea in several places and had parts companies contact me asking to buy in bulk. So I know this will sell. I am willing to put my money into the development and production of such unit.
It doesn't really matter to me since I started a company, made a fortune, and I'm now happily retired. I'm glad you have confidence in this project and I wish you well.

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
So you haven't designed it yet, but you have it priced... does that include boxes, freight, freight again, your time, etc? doubt it. It'll be 100-200 @ 1000pcs. And don't forget the time of your prospective partner.
EDIT: I agree with @Travm wholeheartedly.
This will be a tough niche to make significant bucks in. There is also a risk that you will order too many at some point and end up having boxes of chicklets that nobody wants. It happened to us and it can happen to you. You just haven't experienced that particular agony of the business yet.

Last edited:

Travm

Joined Aug 16, 2016
This will be a tough niche to make significant bucks in. There is also a risk that you will order too many at some point and end up having boxes of chicklets that nobody wants. It happened to us and it can happen to you. You just haven't experienced that particular agony of the business yet.
Misquote?

zoti

Joined Oct 28, 2021
You determined that by yourself. You don't know what I have or have not done to get the price quote I got.

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
Indeed. There has been some selling and some tire kicking, but there don't seem to be any actual negotiations. That's just my opinion, and I could be wrong.

Travm

Joined Aug 16, 2016
You determined that by yourself. You don't know what I have or have not done to get the price quote I got.
You said you're looking for someone to help design a PCB and circuit.
You cannot have a quote for manufacturing that at this time. I am a designer, I understand the process. If you think you've been quoted a price to build something that hasn't been designed yet, you are in more trouble than I thought.

I also looked at your photo. Delivering a product can cost upwards of 10x the sum of parts. Or even more. If you wanted to build a one off, and your time was worthless, you could do it for $40. Factor in your time, $600.

I earn a living estimating things, granted I'm shooting from the hip a bit on this, I'm bloody good at it.

Last edited:

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
You cannot have a quote for manufacturing that at this time. I am a designer, I understand the process. If you think you've been quoted a price to build something that hasn't been designed yet, you are in more trouble than I thought.

I also looked at your photo. Delivering a product can cost upwards of 10x the sum of parts. Or even more. If you wanted to build a one off, and your time was worthless, you could do it for $40. Factor in your time, $600.

I earn a living estimating things, granted I'm shooting from the hip a bit on this, I'm bloody good at it.
I believe you. I was involved in small quantity design and manufacturing for over a decade and I was able to retire on it because I was bloody good at it as well.

zoti

Joined Oct 28, 2021

I already had prototypes made and price estimation.

so I know what I'm looking at as far as cost.

shortbus

Joined Sep 30, 2009
I have my very strong doubts of this making any money since all of the newer cars don't even have an idle air valve any more. Quote, "These days, most new cars have electronic throttle control (ETC), eliminating the need for an IAC." From - https://www.carparts.com/blog/symptoms-of-a-bad-idle-air-control-valve/ Ever since the throttle cable went away so did the IAC so unless people are going to keep driving pre- 2000 cars the need for this item grows smaller every year.

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
I have my very strong doubts of this making any money since all of the newer cars don't even have an idle air valve any more. Quote, "These days, most new cars have electronic throttle control (ETC), eliminating the need for an IAC." From - https://www.carparts.com/blog/symptoms-of-a-bad-idle-air-control-valve/ Ever since the throttle cable went away so did the IAC so unless people are going to keep driving pre- 2000 cars the need for this item grows smaller every year.
I was wondering about how many 1980's vintage cars are still out there. This is post #40 and I don't see anybody lining up for a crack at this problem so maybe its time to let this thread go.

Status
Not open for further replies.