Work radio project with "TECHNICAL RESTRICTIONS"

HotDogWithMayonaise

Joined Aug 20, 2017
My place of employment recently changed its policy on personal electronic devices - causing my previous build to become obsolete. I can no longer stream off my phone via bluetooth or have any sort of 'personal electronic device' on my person at any time. I've looked into the various interfaces to get around this method without having to be sneaky and build something hidden into the actual cabinet of the radio itself..

I could probably get by with SD card/ flash drive players - but I'm not huge on buying music these days considering streaming services are much more vast and cost effective.

I have all the other technical aspects taken care of - I just wanted to see if anyone has any suggestions about a media interface that I haven't came across yet.. ? Any ideas would be much appreciated!

JohnInTX

Joined Jun 26, 2012
It sounds like you are asking for ways to be Terminated For Cause. If you can’t get your tunes without busting the rules you should re-think things. Many of us here have been on the boss-side of that equation and you might wind up unhappy if you don’t work with the boss for a solution rather than circumvent the rules. I suspect there is a good reason behind them.

ebeowulf17

Joined Aug 12, 2014
My place of employment recently changed its policy on personal electronic devices - causing my previous build to become obsolete. I can no longer stream off my phone via bluetooth or have any sort of 'personal electronic device' on my person at any time. I've looked into the various interfaces to get around this method without having to be sneaky and build something hidden into the actual cabinet of the radio itself..

I could probably get by with SD card/ flash drive players - but I'm not huge on buying music these days considering streaming services are much more vast and cost effective.

I have all the other technical aspects taken care of - I just wanted to see if anyone has any suggestions about a media interface that I haven't came across yet.. ? Any ideas would be much appreciated!
I'm not sure I understand what you mean by personal electronic device, nor which of your examples are meant to be within our outside of the rules.

If it was noise they wanted to avoid, I assume radios would be forbidden too, and you've sort of implied that a radio would be allowed.

If it's not noise, then it's probably privacy, confidentiality, intellectual property, or other similar concerns... in which case I'd expect SD cards and internet connected devices to both be clear violations.

Anyway, we need a clearer idea of what exactly you're wanting to accomplish. If there's a narrow pathway to happiness that doesn't violate the rules, we need a clearer idea of what that is. There are experts here who can help figure out a wide variety of things, but only after knowing what exactly they're supposed to solve... and of course you probably won't get help with any deliberate workplace violations.

Audioguru

Joined Dec 20, 2007
I don't know if you listen to the weather forecast, stock market prices, game scores or music while you are supposed to be working.
I love music but I never listened to it while working. I worked hard when I was supposed to be working. Why don't you??

HotDogWithMayonaise

Joined Aug 20, 2017
Woah guys. Chill.

We can have radios. No cell phones or MP3 players. I built a high quality radio that was line in only - which I plugged my phone into - which I can no longer have. I'm not trying to violate the policy - I'm trying to find the best way to utilize it. Besides what I listed originally - does anyone have any actual recommendations about a possible media interface?

DickCappels

Joined Aug 21, 2008
It is not completely clear but it seems the whole idea of the restriction is to prevent you from bringing your own media, for whatever reason.

One way to use your high quality radio with line in only without violating the rule as outlined in this thread would might be to buy a radio turner to drive the line-in only radio that you made.

ebeowulf17

Joined Aug 12, 2014
I'm a fan of XM/Sirius satellite radio. I don't like the subscription price, but they do a great job of curating the music selections and there's a really wide variety of stations to choose from. I can't say for sure what reception inside a building will be like. I use the actual satellite receiving system in my car, and I use the web-streaming version with my phone if I'm riding a bus or train.

If you're wanting to stream internet music, are you allowed access to a local Wi-Fi network, or would you be using a cellular data connection? I'm still not clear on what you mean by a "media interface." Are you looking for something that streams internet content from one particular source, something streaming internet content from as many sources as possible, or some alternative to internet streaming services?

Anyway, without a better handle on your requirements, my best guess is satellite radio.

spinnaker

Joined Oct 29, 2009
It is not completely clear but it seems the whole idea of the restriction is to prevent you from bringing your own media, for whatever reason.
My guess is the TS is just not permitted to stream over the company intranet. Same where I work. In fact streaming is blocked so you can't But there are no rules about listening to your MP3 player, radio or a stream on your cell connection.