Work Bench Project

Status
Not open for further replies.

mapleman555

Joined Dec 15, 2014
Before I can work on the electronic projects I had to do this project, my new work area.
I am into minimalism, as in keeping the noise down while I built this in my apartment, on a small budget. I would rather spend the money on electronic supplies.
This size and shape came out of the fact that I don't have a work shop, not a lot of tools and not a lot of space. I bought a lot of the wood cut to size, the main bench, top shelf and backboard, all 2'x4'. I had to buy and cut the trim around the, the shelf supports and the lower shelf. I bought the folding "banquet table" legs used and built around them. If you look close at the table in progress image you can see I used half of a hinge to affix the support of the top shelf to the bench.
For lights I bought a roll of bright white LEDs so want to cut a strip and put it under the top shelf against the front edge. I also want to get a four outlet box and fix it to the right side of the lower self support to plug my gear into. As you can see in the pictures I have my 2 in 1 solder station patiently waiting to take up it's place on the bench.

100_0083.jpg 100_0093.jpg 100_0092.jpg

izon

Joined Mar 17, 2013
Looks very well done. Hopefully that shelf is secured somehow on it's rear edge so as not to tip back. Wish you well in your efforts.
Thanks for the good pictures.

mapleman555

Joined Dec 15, 2014
Thanks.
The top shelf is screwed to the smaller piece under it at the backboard. The lower shelf is screwed to the backboard from the back through the backboard. They are both very sturdy but if the lower one looks like it's starting to sag I will put the same kind of support under it as the top shelf.

Joined Nov 30, 2010
Been there, done that. You need to define a triangle on left and right sides of the larger shelf support. The 4 inch wood on the lesser shelf is wide enough to provide good resistance to avoid it leaning forward or backward, but the larger shelf looks like it needs help. Up at the top, front corner, looks convenient. Just add a board at 45 degrees across the top left and right corners.

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
You may want to do that in such a way that it prevents items from getting pushed off the shelf on the sides, a sort of bookend.

Status
Not open for further replies.