Wondering How Do Get Apps For International Calling

Glenn Holland

Joined Dec 26, 2014
I'm looking for an app to enable me to make international calls over the internet.

There are a lot of apps available for the later phones and computers, but my phone has Windows 8 and my desktop has Windows 7 and both of them are apparently outdated for Skype and the other voice/video apps.

Is it possible to just buy a tablet instead of a whole new computer or replacing my phone? I'm not planning on making many international calls per month, and I'm looking for the lowest cost solution.

DickCappels

Joined Aug 21, 2008
Skype supports Ios (ipads and iphones) as well as Android (everything else in the). A few years back I bought a low-end Andriod phone for about $20. Hard to beat that.

KJ6EAD

Joined Apr 30, 2011
Whatsapp is the one I have. It was recommended to me by some of the smartest people I know. There's a version for Windows phones and PC. If necessary, you could put an Android emulator on one or both devices.

Last edited:

joeyd999

Joined Jun 6, 2011
Whatsapp is the one I have.
I have no personal experience with this app. But it seems to be the one that my wife and all her family and friends use to communicate to and from S. America and the rest of the world.

I believe there are both free and paid versions. I don't know the difference.

DickCappels

Joined Aug 21, 2008
Whatsapp, Line, and WeChat are closed systems -they cannot contact landlines and cell phones directly. I use Line and WeChat daily, and they are replacing landline calls for me, but if you want to call a regular "telephone number" then those will not do. To talk to a landline or mobile number you need Skype of a similar service that requires you to spend money.

I have not used Skype to connect to regular telephone numbers in years.

Ramussons

Joined May 3, 2013
There are quite a few open VOIP service providers all over. Some of the US based ones are OnSip, CallCentric, OrbTalk....

I use CallCentric. I have a free VOIP ID. And a free mapped US Phone ID. Incoming to this US phone reaches me on VOIP. Outgoing to telephone network is on a cost. Calls to/from other open VOIP service providers is free.

You need a VOIP SIP client on your PC.

3CX, Zoiper, ... https://www.voipsupply.com/blog/voip-insider/free-sip-softphone-roundup/

Check this as an example: https://www.voipwise.com/dashboard

Glenn Holland

Joined Dec 26, 2014
Use skype. They have a service that can call landlines.
I've read that there is a Skype adapter that connects between a landline phone set and a computer that's connected to the Internet. The adapter has a USB plug to connect to the computer. Does anyone know if these are any good?