Wiring regulations (x3) 3phase pumps in parallel

PAULSINCLAIR

Joined May 3, 2017
Hi,

the company i work for are designing a unit which consists of (x3) 3phase pumps connected in parallel, the pumps have thermal trips on each. The entire unit is connected to a single input from UK 3phase mains (415v). When at full load, each phase draws around 6.5 amps.

Does anyone know if this complies with wiring regulations?

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
As long as each motor has a means of overload detection also correct fusing for each then it should be within Regs.
If they are meant to run together, it may pay or need some kind of interlock/detection if one fails to run they both shut down?
Ideally you need a contactor for each.
Max.

PAULSINCLAIR

Joined May 3, 2017
As long as each motor has a means of overload detection also correct fusing for each then it should be within Regs.
If they are meant to run together, it may pay or need some kind of interlock/detection if one fails to run they both shut down?
Ideally you need a contactor for each.
Max.

OK thanks, it has a circuit breaker across the phases so if on trips they all trip and all pumps turn off.

We design and build fume extraction units with 3 phase/1 phase pumps, what wiring regulations do we need to adhere to with regard to how the unit is wired internally and its connection to mains supply? BS7671?

Last edited:

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
I have not practiced in the UK for some decades so a little out of touch with present regulations, I believe they will be pretty close to NFPA79 here for wiring for Industrial Machinery.
If you are in the business of manuf. and selling these units you should find out from the local service company as to regulations.
In N.A. each pump would have its own circuit and dual contactors and O/L's , even though that may be picked up simultaneously.
Max.

Dodgydave

Joined Jun 22, 2012
BS7671:131-14-02 regulation.

As long as each motor has its own isolator and overload, to provide electrical isolation for maintenance it will comply.