Wiring for Battery and/or Transformer Power

George Langley

Joined Mar 7, 2011
Hi all. Want to power a 12-volt motor, with the option to use batteries (eight AA) or a transformer.
I'm assuming the schematic attached will work for one or the other. My concern is if I have batteries in the box, and then plug in a transformer, will that create an issue? Would that put 24 volts on the line? Or risk overheating or blowing up the batteries? Do I need some diodes, a relay or extra wiring to make this work?
Have searched the internet and this forum, but no luck.
Thanks.
1588480435157.png

dl324

Joined Mar 30, 2015
How much current does the motor require.

If the batteries aren't rechargeable, you need to use a power jack that disconnects them when using an adapter.

George Langley

Joined Mar 7, 2011
Thanks Dennis. (My first time building something not just battery powered or tapping into a pre-existing power source.)
Current is 60mA no load, 150mA load, according to the spec sheet for the motor I'm looking at (https://www.digikey.ca/products/en?keywords=108990017).
So to confirm, using a "switched" jack, batteries would connect to pins 2 and 3, normally closed. Then inserting the plug of the power adapter physically disconnects that circuit and connects 1 and 3 to the adapter, correct?
I read it's also a good idea to add a diode as a backup should the mechanical switch fail.

George Langley

Joined Mar 7, 2011
Think this will work.
Question: is the diode required, and in the correct location/orientation, to protect the battery pack from accidental charging should the 2-3 contact fail to open when the adapter is plugged in?
Thanks.

1588869199352.png