Wiring a power tool motor from first principles please.

Jtj321

Joined Aug 21, 2018
Hi I'm hoping you can help me save a much loved and needed powertool for which spares are no longer avaiable.
The tool is a combined mitre and table saw.
It has had little use but just wouldn't work after giving absolutely no reason to suspect a problem
We checked for basic continuity,re-made the internal connections to the switch upon which the saw started but would not shut off.
There is a speed control module together with a speed sensor ( Hall sensor?)
The only reason we can think of for the speed control is for a slow start which we really don't need.
Spares are unavailable and a replacement is several hundred pounds.
We are thinking the motor field and armature windings are sound,I guess these are checkable though? so were wondering if we could rewire the switch arrangement without the speed control.
So we're looking for a wiring diagram to connect the motor to the switch including the capacitor.
From reading posts on here it will be a universal motor I think,and the capacitor present is for suppression/reducing arcing at the commutator.
Hope you can help.
p.s. I have a decent understanding of basic electrical theory,and own a good quality meter.
Thanks.
Mick.

Alec_t

Joined Sep 17, 2013
,re-made the internal connections to the switch upon which the saw started but would not shut off.
That could be due to a faulty switch, a wiring error, or a faulty speed control module. Does that switch just provide a signal to the module, or does it pass the heavy motor current?

Jtj321

Joined Aug 21, 2018
Thanks for the replies. Much appreciated.
The saw is an Evoltion Rage 6
I'm really not sure if the main power goes through the module but there is a heat sink on the module,so maybe?
However,I had another look today anmd the motor spun up sometimes,sometimes not with considerable arcing across the commutator so I'm thinking there's a problem with the armeture,which means ( I think) that the armeture has died,so time to move on and fork out! Thanks guys.