Wiring 2 DC motor do a single DPDT switch with 2 separate limit switches for each motor

sse94

Joined Aug 27, 2021
Hello, I want to build a setup with 2 DC motors, and 4 limit switches which are wired to a DPDT switch and a 12V power supply. Basically what I want to do is use the DPDT switch to open 2 different garage doors which have 2 separate limit switches for each door. Basically I want to do it like in this video, but add another door which is wired to the same DPDT switch, but have different positions for the limit switches.

Similar to this video:

Here I have wired the same setup as in the video:

Here I have wired the setup with the 2 motors and 4 switches (instead of a second motor I have just added a multimeter):

If you have any tips on how one would make this setup work I would greatly appreciate it!

LesJones

Joined Jan 8, 2017
I think this is the simplest way to do what you want.

270821.jpg
The diodes bypass the limit switches so each limit switch only stops the motor in one direction. The limit switches need to ne normally closed contact so the contacts open when the limit is reached.
NOTE this will only work with permanent magnet motors. (It could be made to work with shunt or series wound motors by modifying the internal wiring of the motors and adding a bridge rectifier.

Les.

sse94

Joined Aug 27, 2021
Thank you very much Les! I already have this setup connected. Couldn't I just put diodes in the circuit to have the same result?
1630071069600.png

LesJones

Joined Jan 8, 2017
Your connections to the DPDT switch are not clear, I am guessing that the two common terminals are the ones connected to the supply. In the position for UP the positive connects to the top terminal on the right and the negative to the next to bottom on the right. In the position for down the positive is connected to the next to the top terminal and the negative to the bottom right terminal. If I have guessed correctly then your diagram should work without the diodes.
The only advantage my circuit has over yours is it only needs two wires between the switch location and the motor location. Yours needs three wires.

Les.