Winter chores

Metalmann

Joined Dec 8, 2012
@ ShortBus , how about some zeping information about dipping my motor cycle

fuel tank for rust inside and out......If you know...what's the name of the stuff.

They want $500.00 dollars for a new tank. So far one tire is holding air ,got a

new battery. The seat was molded foam ,just need to cover it. Got me three of

lobster shipping coolers laid out. The seat in one ,tools in another zep and misc in

the other. more to come.......On the front wheel was not locked ,I won't be going

around in circles.

Here are several good links for electrolysis:

https://startpage.com/do/search?cmd...ONE&relsrch=1&query=electrolysis+rust+removal

From scratch--:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-8vT2mdXBs8

loosewire

Joined Apr 25, 2008
@ Metalman ,I have a small battery charger ,I have a question.....have you heard

of sucessful rust removal from inside the tank. I wonder if the tanks are lined with some

thing from the factory.....just thinking about liners.

Joined Nov 30, 2010
@MrChips

There was a post about weather where I explained that, if the heat index is over 100F, and it happens regularly, you can not sit under a tree and cool off. You must have air conditioning (or a swimming hole) to do physical work in the summer.

Acclimatization here includes a drenching sweat reaction to heat. It took me over a year in California for my body to stop doing the drenching sweat reaction. The desert air in southern California has a dew point of somewhere near the threshold of pain, so it is very annoying and counter-productive to go from slightly warm to wet, with chills and sneezing. After about a year, your body learns to modulate the heat reaction. Now, I'm back where summer is a matter of survival and being somewhat wet all the time, and the other 6 months are wonderful.

Still, I wonder. When I lived in Indianapolis, 80F degrees was very uncomfortable. People come here in droves, from as far as Canada, when it is still above 80F in the daytime. For those acclimatized to temperatures over 90F, 80F is sweet relief. I don't think it is very nice for the "snowbirds" at 80F.

Last edited:

Brownout

Joined Jan 10, 2012
I had to leave Fl just as the weather was getting nice :( Back in Alabama, it's cold annd wet this time of year. I'll probably be back in Fl when I don't want to be. At least on the east coast, there are cooling ocean breezes in the afternoon.

shortbus

Joined Sep 30, 2009
Easiest, simplest rust remover is molasses. Not the stuff from the grocery store (human food grade) but the stuff from a animal feed store. Just fill a bucket/tub with the molasses and put the metal in it, wait a week or so and rinse it out. Rust is gone.

Gas tanks aren't normally lined from the factory. Some people use a product called "Kreem" to line them, works for a while (couple of years) then starts peeling off and causing problems. Plugs up the carburetor. Surface rust doesn't really harm anything in a tank. http://www.kreem.com/fueltankliner.html