windows vista home premium

hartlanders

Joined Mar 20, 2005
:confused:The computer is an hp s7700e.the processor is a amd athlon
dual core,1 gig memory,160 gig hd .i have avg free edition,adware,
and windows defender.i run adware and and virus scanner once a week.
it never shows a problem.i also have ccleaner installed that i run when
i disconnect.
The problem is computer is very slow when i go to any website,it takes along time for page to load.When i purchased computer i used all recomended hardware.is this common with vista?
Thanks for any replies,hartlanders

recca02

Joined Apr 2, 2007
the website loading speed depends on your internet connection speed and the load on the server,
so it probably does not have much to do with your pc configuration,
maybe the antivirus and other softwares are running updates which might have slowed the websites' loading.
the other thing about pc being slow beats me too,
i have seen some pc do not perform to their specifications,
maybe u are running too many applications at start up in the background.

Firestorm

Joined Jan 24, 2005
You can test your internet speed @ http://speedtest.net
The one thing I don't like about vista is that it uses too many resources just for a few "fancy" effects. I turned most of that stuff off(If you would like, I can send you a pic of my visualization setup...ie-whats on and off). AVG doesn't take up that much stuff, so it could be dependent on you internet connection. Try using a different spyware remover(SpyBot S&D) and see if that speeds it up. Hope this helps :)

-fire

Dave

Joined Nov 17, 2003
If you net connection speed is good and you are still experiencing problems, I might assume that your problem is your AV over working and thus slowing your connection. Although I don't recommend it for general use, what happens if you disable you AV as then use the net? (only navigate to a trusted site and turn your AV back on ASAP).

If the net experinece is more responsive may I suggest you then look at replacing AVG with another software (Avast! is good and free). Btw, I find AVG is very good and highly recommend it, however sometimes the best software doesn't suit your set-up.

Dave

bloguetronica

Joined Apr 27, 2007
Vista uses lots of resources, making a normal computer to act slow. Most of them are used on data encryption (when active), DRM processes and such. I really suggest you to uninstall it. Vista needs a lot of memory: 512Mb at least, and demands a lot from the processor.

But then again, is your computer really slow, or only takes time to load a page?

hartlanders

Joined Mar 20, 2005
The computer takes a long time to load
pages no matter what sites i go to.
I have had the computer for 8 months
when i go to defragment it always says
files system performance is good,you do
not need to defragment at this time.Can
this be possible after 8 months of use?
Thanks,hartlanders:confused:
ps what is DRM processes how do you
disable it?

Dave

Joined Nov 17, 2003
The computer takes a long time to load
pages no matter what sites i go to.
I have had the computer for 8 months
when i go to defragment it always says
files system performance is good,you do
not need to defragment at this time.Can
this be possible after 8 months of use?
Thanks,hartlanders:confused:
As long as you have not changed any of the default settings, defragmenattion should happen automatically. Therefore the information is correct. You can check your actual file fragmentation at the command line by typing:

Rich (BB code):
defrag c: -a
Note: The command line process must have administrator rights.

ps what is DRM processes how do you
disable it?
There is not a lot you can do, its built into the core of the OS.

Dave