Windows to I2C interface - driving an ssd1306 screen?

Joel Hopper

Joined Jun 24, 2016
Ok, so odd question... I think it would be neat to have a couple of tiny little screens in a small project box (or whatever) and use them for displaying various types of information. I really like the small SSD1306 screens. They are small enough for what I'm talking about but readable enough to have quite a bit of information on them and still work for what I have in mind.

My question is, has anyone tried this? I searched the forums and found nothing. I think I could use any one of the small arduino boards as a passthrough for the I2C but I'm not sure. How robust do you think using USB through an arduino would be for something like this? With the new linux in windows functionality I was wondering if I could use that with python. I have not done a lot of digging but figured I would ask the experts here about it first. :)

thanks for the help in advance.

It is an odd kind of a thing to want to do, but yes,I think that it could be done. I have not done that but have done a bit with something like that.

Two basic ways come to mind. First would be a USB to I2C bridge - check out the MCP2221 https://www.microchip.com/wwwproducts/en/MCP2221

or one of these https://store.ncd.io/product/usb-to-i2c-converter-with-virtual-com-port-ft230xs/

The Arduino way would probably be easier because the device drivers already exist as libraries. Thus, a simple USB to serial board could be used on a pro mini 3.3 or something. Your program serves as a simple interpreter for a set of display commands.

Finally, you might be able to actually program some Arduinos (I think a micro) as a USB device, but I have not thought that through.

You know you have a big screen right there with Windows - right?:)

Joel Hopper

Joined Jun 24, 2016
:) Yes. I get what you are saying. But I'm a hobbyist. and I have these displays just sitting here. I might as well do SOMETHING with them :) That MCP2221 looks really nice. I'll see what I can do with it. Thanks for the info. My only concern is that the displays only have 2 possible addresses. I would hate to only be able to connect a max of 2. So I'll dig into that as well. Call this exercise an expeiment in "Challenge Accepted" hehe

:) Yes. I get what you are saying. But I'm a hobbyist. and I have these displays just sitting here. I might as well do SOMETHING with them :) That MCP2221 looks really nice. I'll see what I can do with it. Thanks for the info. My only concern is that the displays only have 2 possible addresses. I would hate to only be able to connect a max of 2. So I'll dig into that as well. Call this exercise an expeiment in "Challenge Accepted" hehe
Hey why not. You could probably use a Pic as well. - Good luck and keep us posted.

dendad

Joined Feb 20, 2016
I seem to remember seeing the I2C that is built in to the VGA port used to drive other things. If there is a VGA port on your PC, you may be able to Google info on how to use that.

geekoftheweek

Joined Oct 6, 2013
Check in to I2C switches, multiplexers, and the like if you run in to address problems. They will allow you to split your I2C into separate branches that you can turn on and off to get around the address limitations.