Windows 10 users...

Your Windows 10 operative system is

• Pleasant, can navigate properly into it.

• Unpleasant, cannot find ways to do things.

• Everything makes sense, works great.

• Difficult to find or achieve what I want.

Results are only viewable after voting.

Externet

Joined Nov 29, 2005
Hi.
Can you tell if you find your operative system is pleasant to use, easy to find things, easy to resolve unknowns, simple to understand, behaves properly and smoothly, works to your satisfaction ?

BR-549

Joined Sep 22, 2013
Not at all. But it's what everyone writes programs for. AND....the programs go right in.....and work.

It's what everyone is familiar with.

Only one distribution for windows.

BR-549

Joined Sep 22, 2013
You got to be kidding. How old are you? How long have you been using windows?

How many versions of windows have you used?

Ya’akov

Joined Jan 27, 2019
I use Windows 10 only when I am forced to because software or hardware requires it. This is because I do not find the interface or underlying OS to be friendly (to me), and because it has a tendency to fail in mysterious and inaccessible ways.

If I was using it more, I’d probably have less of the latter problem, I have always been able to solve these issues one way or another, but I don’t find it a good experience.

I also find that a large percentage of the software for Windows is poorly written with inconsistent and clumsy UI, which adds to dissatisfaction.

Ian Rogers

Joined Dec 12, 2012
My only complaint with windows... Its born faulty everytime… Each version starts bad... MANY updates and we get a solid OP... Then they rinse and repeat... Xp was fantastic towards its end of life.... Windows 7 was great towards the end of life.. Windows 8 was...… well less said the better... Windows 10 is becoming more and more stable…. BUT!! this new update system leave a lot to be desired... Most updates take 30mins or so and your computer is useless for at least an hour while superfetch and all the indexing software, .net components and many more use 100% disk time...

They don't seem to learn... Some say the steal ideas from MAC...doubt it.. The MAC doesn't do this...

pmd34

Joined Feb 22, 2014
Well once I managed to hack it, and dissable all updates, to prevent it updating every few hours AND trying to update any other computer it could see its been working OK!

Still working on my server trying to remove 33,000 unused updates (second time I've had to do it!) - the result of figuring it was best to at least allow MS updates on a server.

I would change to Linux mint in a flash if things like avr studio, worked happily on it!

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
The thing that really bugs me with Windows new systems is that either there are no upgrades for expensive S/W or they cost $$ for the later versions.
I run XP mainly because many of my regular programs run on it.
I have found Win10 a pain and Not user friendly so far.
Max.

Ya’akov

Joined Jan 27, 2019
I made a career out of Windows, starting, literally with Windows 1.0 on 3.5" floppies on 80286 machines. I used it up until the release of OS X, version 10.1 when I switched to it as my desktop OS.

While I braced myself for losing 20+ years of tools and techniques, it was a surprisingly easy transition, and since I used FreeBSD, Solaris, and Linux for sever systems, having UNIXy underpinnings was a really nice thing. No discontinuities with Windows shells and utilities.

I still used Windows when I had to, but I became more and more estranged from it and though I have it running from necessity, I am unhappy every time I have to use it.

OS X is my "home", my desktop OS. I have Linux desktop machines, Windows desktop machines, but I feel much happier at the keyboard of a Mac.

killivolt

Joined Jan 10, 2010
I switched to a Mac years ago, Linux is a good choice on the server end of things, but you can't get away from Windows and I might go back when they stop using Inel chips and MCU, I get why they want to go back to the old chips but I want a machine that can Vbox a windows or linux OS.

Yes, .net and X86 are vulnerable but how will that affect me, not much I'd say, I can just re-image if need be. I don't keep anything on a machine that is of any consequence.

I'll go Linux if Mac decides to go back to old chips and hardware.

kv

Edit: Bing kept opening when I booted Exploder, you can still get into the regedit and turn off that auto search thingy. Can't remember what program, but it's way down in, but you can do it.

KeithWalker

Joined Jul 10, 2017
I switched to a Mac years ago, Linux is a good choice on the server end of things, but you can't get away from Windows and I might go back when they stop using Inel chips and MCU, I get why they want to go back to the old chips but I want a machine that can Vbox a windows or linux OS.

Yes, .net and X86 are vulnerable but how will that affect me, not much I'd say, I can just re-image if need be. I don't keep anything on a machine that is of any consequence.

I'll go Linux if Mac decides to go back to old chips and hardware.

kv

Edit: Bing kept opening when I booted Exploder, you can still get into the regedit and turn off that auto search thingy. Can't remember what program, but it's way down in, but you can do it.
My first computer was a PET with dual tape drives. I learned as the PC operating systems changed through dos and finally to Windows. XP was the first really solid, stable operating system and I still use it for all my technical designing and programming. Vista was a total failure. Windows 7 turned out to be not too bad. 8 has a peculiar non-intuitive interface. Windows 9 never happened. Windows 10 is designed for the unwashed masses. It focusses on the internet and entertainment (hence the user-hostile widescreen display). I find it very difficult to use for technical purposes because it does not give me the choices I need. It tries to do everything for me but in it's own way. Very often when I save a file, it does not get put where I expected and have to go searching for it. I will continue to use XP for as long as I possibly can.

Ya’akov

Joined Jan 27, 2019
My first computer was a PET with dual tape drives. I learned as the PC operating systems changed through dos and finally to Windows. XP was the first really solid, stable operating system and I still use it for all my technical designing and programming. Vista was a total failure. Windows 7 turned out to be not too bad. 8 has a peculiar non-intuitive interface. Windows 9 never happened. Windows 10 is designed for the unwashed masses. It focusses on the internet and entertainment (hence the user-hostile widescreen display). I find it very difficult to use for technical purposes because it does not give me the choices I need. It tries to do everything for me but in it's own way. Very often when I save a file, it does not get put where I expected and have to go searching for it. I will continue to use XP for as long as I possibly can.
I had a TRS-80 Model 1, fully loaded with 16K of RAM and Level II BASIC! My friend had a PET, another an IMSAI. We used to haunt the micro stores, we had two in town plus a Heathkit. We played with KIM, Apple, SWTPC, Sol, Jupiter, and others.

Later, CP/M then DOS, and of course on to Windows. Things are a different universe than we we started with desktop computing...

bertus

Joined Apr 5, 2008
Hello,

The TRS80 model 1 was also my first computer.
I made a memory extention by piggy backing more memory chips to have the full 48 K memory withoput the expantion box.

Bertus

Ya’akov

Joined Jan 27, 2019
Hello,

The TRS80 model 1 was also my first computer.
I made a memory extention by piggy backing more memory chips to have the full 48 K memory withoput the expantion box.

Bertus
Later models arrived with 16K installed and a jumper to cut to upgrade the RAM because RAM got really cheap and Tandy still wanted the money the upgrade brought in.

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
we had two in town plus a Heathkit.
Later, CP/M then DOS, and of course on to Windows. Things are a different universe than we we started with desktop computing...
Actually the Heath/Zenith ZDOS was a much better contender and had much more potential than the PCDOS of the time.
When IBM selected DOS the rest became history.
I got hold of some PC's that had a Unix based operating system, the U.S. anti-dumping laws prevented unloading them there.
So they could be picked up for a song in Canada, too bad any S/W applications were virtually nil.:(
Max.

Ya’akov

Joined Jan 27, 2019
Actually the Heath/Zenith ZDOS was a much better contender and had much more potential than the PCDOS of the time.
When IBM selected DOS the rest became history.
I got hold of some PC's that had a Unix based operating system, the U.S. anti-dumping laws prevented unloading them there.
So they could be picked up for a song in Canada, too bad any S/W applications were virtually nil.:(
Max.
SCO UNIX figured into my consultancy for quite a while. Along with some other oddball OSs.