Windows 10 after linux in dual boot?

visionofast

Joined Oct 17, 2018
hi,
I've recently bought a Win 10 Pro licence and I'm about to install it along with my Linux mint 18.3 in dual boot mode.
after a non-UEFI installation of windows 10, no bootloader and boot menu shows up...just a blinking dash sign appears.
And after a Repairing operation by a bootable Boot Repair disc, just boot option of Linux is able to be recovered and appeared in startup menu.
So, Is there any simple solution for this dual boot installation with no bootloader fault?

BR-549

Joined Sep 22, 2013
I have run into this before. This is a solution, but you need to be a true linux nerd to repair it.

And if you do repair it.......it can still cause headaches in the future.

If you want to save yourself hours of anguish, buy another SSD and install operating systems separately. One OS on one disk. Always. But one can also run a virtual OS on one disk.

Duel boot from your BIOS, not a boot menu on one disk. If you have a laptop, buy fast thumb or fast external drive to boot from. Or use virtual OS.

Good luck.

visionofast

Joined Oct 17, 2018
well, the fact about this issue is that linux strangely causes some disk errors in windows 10 -related partitions specially for NTFS file format and makes the windows bootloader faulty.
solution is running check disk from linux using Gparted or similar tools every time .
but it is still odd for me, the fault only happens from Windows 8.1 and above.

Last edited:

Ramussons

Joined May 3, 2013
hi,
I've recently bought a Win 10 Pro licence and I'm about to install it along with my Linux mint 18.3 in dual boot mode.
after a non-UEFI installation of windows 10, no bootloader and boot menu shows up...just a blinking dash sign appears.
And after a Repairing operation by a bootable Boot Repair disc, just boot option of Linux is able to be recovered and appeared in startup menu.
So, Is there any simple solution for this dual boot installation with no bootloader fault?
There seems to be some fault on windows installation.
Repeat the windows installation in a seperate 40 GB partition.
The Windows should boot up normally after installation but the Linux GRUB would have been wiped off.
But it is quite easy to get it back. You need to have a Boot-Repair-Disk, a stand alone Linux utility, or a live Linux Mint > 19.3 which has this built in.

visionofast

Joined Oct 17, 2018
There seems to be some fault on windows installation.
Repeat the windows installation in a seperate 40 GB partition.
The Windows should boot up normally after installation but the Linux GRUB would have been wiped off.
But it is quite easy to get it back. You need to have a Boot-Repair-Disk, a stand alone Linux utility, or a live Linux Mint > 19.3 which has this built in.
I already have done this grub repair job,and used dual boot OS.But after couple of times I access windows partitions and other NTFS ones from linux file browser,it randomly causes disk errors and makes the windows 10 bootloader faulty like a frozen black screen.and needs to run a time-consuming check-disk for NTFS and FAT32 partiotions some times to fix error.
BTW that i'd never seen this for Win8 and earlier.

Last edited:

Ramussons

Joined May 3, 2013
GRUB repair is not the issue. Windows must boot up normally after installation. If it doesn't, that needs to be first sorted out.

djsfantasi

Joined Apr 11, 2010
I can’t look now, but I seem to remember that Windows has to be in the first partition and boot first in a dual boot system. That is, there is no way to do what you ask… Trying to confirm this memory.

Ramussons

Joined May 3, 2013
Windows need not be in the first partition.
And need not be installed first.
When you install Windows, it will re write the Master Boot Record and will be the the only booting system.
As I mentioned earlier, Windows must boot up after installation. If that does not happen, the installation is either incomplete or faulty.

I'll leave it here, we seem to be going round in circles.

visionofast

Joined Oct 17, 2018
As I mentioned,I can run both windows 10 and linux in dual boot.
after windows 8.1 , I guess they made a different bootloder for windows that was more compatible for embedded devices and a faster boot purpose,but it was all a crap for multiboot OS installation.
for windows subsystem, I'm not sure whether it satisfy full performence of OS with full access to HW resources or not?!

srihariraom

Joined Sep 27, 2021
Support for accessing GPU and networking applications is present. They provide updates to improve it. But the support for serial or USB devices is not there yet. If you want to deal with HW resources mostly then I would recommend going with installing OS and making it multiboot. But the only thing is don't mess it up, doing so would take all of your time and resources to get back everything to normal.

Ramussons

Joined May 3, 2013