Winding a wire (heating element) after a few uses

Leonardo Camargo

Joined Oct 30, 2017
I hope my question is fitting for this place.

I bought recently 10 meters of Kanthal A1 AWG18 wire, which is a type of heating element (FeCrAl alloy). I intend to make a coil out of it, but it's no use doing that right now, I need more of it for my project (electric furnace), have ordered more of it online and, am waiting a couple weeks till it arrives.

My question is this, if I use the heating element a few times in a different project (assume here that the wattage is the maximum possible), in a way that I won't twist ou wind it in any way, will this affect the physical properties of the wire in ways that might make it harder for me to turn it into a coil later on, for my initial project? (I'll be winding the coil manually, it will be between 5 and 10 mm of diameter)

I ask that because heating elements tend to get more brittle with time, but I don't know how long it might take for such changes to start happening.

Thanks.

Joined Nov 30, 2010
I never tried it because a 5000 watt nichrome re-string kit for a clothes dryer or an electric furnace costs me about $5.