Wind Turbine Charge Controller

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
So you want a dump load that will only kick in when the system voltage approaches (rises to) the voltage at which the regulator built into the turbine will otherwise take over and start wasting power itself.

Unless I'm mistaken, you can trigger the dumping action on nothing more than system voltage. Charging or not, lights on or not, if the voltage is going up to the range where the turbine takes over, you want to preemptively use your new load.

I think this is a relatively easy task except for the currents involved. It'd be good if somebody with some experience would chime in here.

Just to get you thinking, here's a circuit I just posted for somebody else, showing how excess solar panel power can be shunted to ground if the system voltage rises above a user-settable target. This circuit is fine for 50mA, not 15A.
Picture 1 10-57-39.png
The voltage is set by the zener diode D2 and tweaked by resistors R2 and R3. It's set up to put ~0.65v at the transistor's base - turning on the shunt to ground - when current starts flowing through the zener, which only happens when the battery voltage gets too high, above the zener voltage plus the drop across the 2 resistors.

Umar27

Joined Dec 7, 2014
i have built 555 timer wind/solar charge
controller... Its working good. Circuit is powered by LM7805 .
. i have to ask that is this voltage regulator powered through
battery voltage or input wind/solar voltage??

=> I have observed that its a just switching circuit that switch
between dump load and battery. plz tell me that How a variable
charge coming from input can be made uniform to charge the battery?
Which is the component that is doing this job(making variable charge(current)
uniform )?
. I will appreciate if you reply me quick bcoz i am doing my final
year project and time remaining is very short.. REGARDS

UMAR

ErnieM

Joined Apr 24, 2011
Hi Umar, welcome to the forums.

Looks like you are new here and have some questions about your circuit. However, being new here you don't know where to ask the question.

If your search doesn't give yopu your answer don't be shy to open a new thread with your question. That is much much better then tacking it onto some other thread you found.

Give what information you can. In this case start with a schematic (and parts list if that is not already very clear) and follow with what you see and what works or does not work.

Help us help you. We like to help!