Wind and television reception...

Externet

Joined Nov 29, 2005
A firmly installed antenna on roof moves/shakes perhaps half inch on strong wind. Is that enough to cause momentary receiving pixelation, or there is something else caused by the wind itself ? Connections are solid. No waving trees nearby.

SLK001

Joined Nov 29, 2011
A firmly installed antenna on roof moves/shakes perhaps half inch on strong wind. Is that enough to cause momentary receiving pixelation, or there is something else caused by the wind itself ? Connections are solid. No waving trees nearby.
What is the signal strength? A half inch of shake shouldn't cause much of an issue with strong signals.

What kind of an antenna? Maybe you are getting metal-on-metal movement that you are not aware of.

What kind of down lead? Down leads bouncing around in the wind have ALWAYS causes reception problems.

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
It would be helpful to know your distance from the transmitter. If you are on the fringe, your only option is to go vertical.

nsaspook

Joined Aug 27, 2009
I get high winds and have a pretty big antenna up high so it moves a bit.

On UHF it's not just the vertical height that matters, you also have to be in the strong signal band during destructive interference changes. With a high gain antenna moving it off center from the towers a bit can also help to remove multi-path from large reflections.

Externet

Joined Nov 29, 2005
What is the signal strength? A half inch of shake shouldn't cause much of an issue with strong signals.
What kind of an antenna? Maybe you are getting metal-on-metal movement that you are not aware of.
What kind of down lead? Down leads bouncing around in the wind have ALWAYS causes reception problems.
Thanks gentlemen. Cannot tell the signal strength. Reception fails only in high winds.
Antenna is an omni Shakespeare 2020 ----> http://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/ODE5WDEwMjQ=/$(KGrHqV,!icF!H365E)hBQZG71Wd4Q~~60_35.JPG
RG59. - Will tie it to the mast next time to see if anything improves.

nsaspook

Joined Aug 27, 2009
Is this antenna on a boat? If it's not on a boat a directional antenna will work much better in high wind conditions.

profbuxton

Joined Feb 21, 2014
I use an indoor aerial and i get "pixilation" when there are strong winds about . I believe its the transmitter aerial thats the problem. Not sure of distance to signal. Its only on some stations that gets bad.

Externet

Joined Nov 29, 2005
Not on boat. Roof on mast. And I want omni for my location.

prof : That is the feel... even indoors, strong wind does something to the signal -¿?-

nsaspook

Joined Aug 27, 2009
Not on boat. Roof on mast. And I want omni for my location.

prof : That is the feel... even indoors, strong wind does something to the signal -¿?-
This is something us old timers have lived with for ages. Dynamic Multi-path reception has been a weakness of ATSC since day one. Some modern receiver chips are much less affected by it (effective Equalization). The antenna just receives what's on the air at the signal levels determined by its radiation pattern. What happens between the transmitter and receiver is usually out of your control so the receiver, the antenna type and location is what you can change.
http://www.highdefforum.com/546283-post6.html