Winch power project

Bruce53

Joined May 14, 2009
I am using an electrical automobile winch to haul a boat up a steep grade. The jeep is too far away to provide a convenient DC power source. I will be using an AC washing-machine motor on house 110 power to drive an old 12 V alternator with a 12 V battery, all unrelated to the jeep. Problem: really thought I knew more about this than I do and I need some advice. First (probably of many) question: where do I get the power for the field? If from the battery, how do I go about regulating it? I need to keep the alternator volts in the 12 - 14 volt range. The load will change a bit, slowing the washing machine motor initally, I suspect. Can I count on the battery as a sump to limit the amps to about 40? I can't find out anything from Delco R about the internal regulator if indeed there is one -- very old alternator that checks out fine. Enough questions for this one. Any help will be most appreciated....
Great site...

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
Why not just use a deep cycle battery and 110V charger to run your winch. How many times a day do you have to move the boat?

With the alternator/battery, you will need mechanical linkage and regulation, as you mention. I would just copy an automobile circuit.

Finally, Harbor Freight has a 1500# 110V AC winch for $115 (list). Part number 96127-3VGA.

John

PRS

Joined Aug 24, 2008
I believe a Delco alternater contains the regulator within itself (as opposed to Ford that seperates the two.)

Bruce53

Joined May 14, 2009
Why not just use a deep cycle battery and 110V charger to run your winch. How many times a day do you have to move the boat?

I guess the best answer is that I am trying to save some dollars and, since I do have all the pieces and I don't have a charger, I thought it to be a good "project" thing that I would learn something from. I would probably move it more than once a week during salmon season and rarely thereafter....

With the alternator/battery, you will need mechanical linkage and regulation, as you mention. I would just copy an automobile circuit.

I can handle the linkage well enough. The auto circuit, I am sure, is the right direction.....

Finally, Harbor Freight has a 1500# 110V AC winch for $115 (list). Part number 96127-3VGA.

Back to dollars. I am really a tight-wad. Also, since I am often a very back-woods type, I like the idea of having something I can use on the jeep when salmon season is over....

John
Many thanks, John. Sure have gotten me thinking.....

Bruce53

Joined May 14, 2009
Hope you are right. But this is an old alternator -- not even sure when I got it. Can't imagine why DR hasn't answered my two emails about it.....
Thanks Paul

Bruce53

Joined May 14, 2009
If the alternator is old enough, then it does not even have diodes, just 3 phase AC.

Wish I knew its age. The output is definitely DC. Can I assume that, if it has two terminals for the field coil, it does not have an internal regulator? Thanks for comment....