Will this sub-circuit function correctly?

Glass Reef

Joined Jan 18, 2016
Hi, my name's Tom and this is my first post here. I'm really in to saltwater aquariums and have been busy building Arduino and Esp32 based gadgets to control and automate various aspects of my tanks. Right now I'm working on a PCB for auto water changes using an ESP32. I'll need both 5VDC and 3.3VDC on the board. VIN will be 12VDC. As I am an absolute newbie when it comes to circuit design, I scoured the internet and put what I found into the circuit shown below.

I'd like to ask whether you feel the circuit (assuming all voltage, current limits, etc. are within specs) will function, as shown. Thanks.

pwrreg.jpg

Glass Reef

Joined Jan 18, 2016
Thanks for the welcome! The 5V is for driving a 20x4 LCD display (tried converting it to 3.3V using a charge pump etc. but, I couldn't get the backlight evenly lit). The 5V will also power the ESP32. The 3.3V will handle 4 water level sensors (photo diodes) and a bank of 3V relays. The relays have opto-couplers to separate the circuits. Other that that, 5 or 6 3v LEDs. I doubt if I'll ever encounter more than 500mA.

dl324

Joined Mar 30, 2015
The 3.3V will handle 4 water level sensors (photo diodes) and a bank of 3V relays. The relays have opto-couplers to separate the circuits. Other that that, 5 or 6 3v LEDs. I doubt if I'll ever encounter more than 500mA.
That could be problematic. That half amp will be going through the 5V regulator; increasing it's power dissipation and using half of it's current capacity.

Glass Reef

Joined Jan 18, 2016
The 500mA was just a guess (and coming from a newbie). I'll finish hooking up the entire circuit to a breadboard tonight - hook up everything possible and post the results.

Glass Reef

Joined Jan 18, 2016
OK. Tested everything. Turned on all sensors and activated 5 relays and 5 leds. Total mA varies around a value of 133mA. A lot less than I thought it would be.