Will LONG WIRE draw batteries faster from Solar Panel?

In Binary, my favorite digit is?

• What is BINARY? is it related to some gender thing?

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

22/7

Joined Mar 20, 2017
I have a Weather Station that has a Solar Panel that uses solar power and also charges 3 x 1.5 Volt lithium ion batteries.
link to Weather Station if that helps you help me,

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00PSV10UK/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

About every 12-18 months those batteries need to be replaced with 3 other rechargeable 3 x 1.5volt.

Could I attach appropriate alligator clamps to the existing battery holder on the device and then run a 15 foot long red and black pair of insulated wires and attach it to a new battery holder weatherproofed against raid etc and use IT to hold my 3 x 1.5v lithium ion batteries?

Also:Will this 15 foot long pair of wires cause the batteries to drain voltage too quickly??

I am trying to avoid bringing down or tipping the tower just to change batteries..
Any advice?

crutschow

Joined Mar 14, 2008
Yes you can remotely connect the batteries without problem as long as you properly observe the correct polarity.
The length of wire has absolutely no effect on the life of the batteries at those low current levels.

But I'm a little confused about the battery type.
The website states this:
upload_2017-4-11_18-8-55.png

So it would seem you should use rechargeable alkalines or non-rechargeable lithium ion batteries.
Are you really using rechargeable lithiums?

22/7

Joined Mar 20, 2017
Yes you can remotely connect the batteries without problem as long as you properly observe the correct polarity.
The length of wire has absolutely no effect on the life of the batteries at those low current levels.

The website states this:
View attachment 124528

So it would seem you should use rechargeable alkalines or non-rechargeable lithium ion batteries.
It came with 3 batteries and they are all rechargeable lithium-ion.
I'm 99% sure BUT I'm going to open the station up and make sure the 1% chance YOU are right regarding the details of the device from it's own reading.

PLEASE standby and keep up with your help...

Kermit2

Joined Feb 5, 2010
12 to 18 months is a good long run of daily discharge recharge cycles.

500 cycles is pretty good for those cheap little rechargeable batteries. Are you positive the changes you want to make can increase that result?

Alec_t

Joined Sep 17, 2013
A 15ft wire pair won't drop a significant voltage at low currents but might act as an interference pickup. It wouldn't hurt to use a twisted wire pair, and perhaps add a 100nF or so cap across the pair at the far end.

22/7

Joined Mar 20, 2017
12 to 18 months is a good long run of daily discharge recharge cycles.

500 cycles is pretty good for those cheap little rechargeable batteries. Are you positive the changes you want to make can increase that result?
IDK, that's why I'm here .

22/7

Joined Mar 20, 2017
A 15ft wire pair won't drop a significant voltage at low currents but might act as an interference pickup. It wouldn't hurt to use a twisted wire pair, and perhaps add a 100nF or so cap across the pair at the far end.
Could you elaborate to this laymen the capacitors purpose?

Kermit2

Joined Feb 5, 2010
The cap is just a trap door that permits an easy exit for AC signals that get picked up by the long wire acting as an antenna. DC voltage are blocked by capacitors, so the battery voltage cannot escape through the capacitor.

22/7

Joined Mar 20, 2017

The website states this:
View attachment 124528

YOU WERE RIGHT!

I CHECKED and I am using "rechargeable alkaline" which all three came with the device. So you're correct about not using rechargeable Lithium's. But they are still the rechargeable category.

Until this device and your making me think to check, and thanks for that:), I have never heard of rechargeable alkaline batteries.
I've known about disposable alkaline batteries for decades.

Why would it be so specific in needing this type alkaline rechargeable? Is this why many people report a 12 to 18 month time before needing to replace the batteries?

Could you educate me a little on this?

Or anyone else?

P.S. Model # is WS-1001 not ws-1000 if that helps.

crutschow

Joined Mar 14, 2008
As noted in the snip from their website I posted, apparently it's because rechargeable alkalines have a wider temperature range operation than NiMH rechargeables.
NiMH batteries drop in performance below freezing.
How cold does it get where you are (since you didn't post your location I have no idea).
If it doesn't get too cold you may be able to substitute NiMH batteries for the Alkaline.

Side comment: What's with the strange survey question at the start of your post? :confused:

22/7

Joined Mar 20, 2017
As noted in the snip from their website I posted, apparently it's because rechargeable alkalines have a wider temperature range operation than NiMH rechargeables.
NiMH batteries drop in performance below freezing.
How cold does it get where you are (since you didn't post your location I have no idea).
If it doesn't get too cold you may be able to substitute NiMH batteries for the Alkaline.

Side comment: What's with the strange survey question at the start of your post? :confused:
Survey was trying to have some geek fun is all.

I live in Chattanooga TN

crutschow

Joined Mar 14, 2008
Chattanooga had 3 nights below freezing in Feb 2017. Not a lot of cold there.
Didn't realize until I looked on Google Maps that Chattanooga is only about 100 miles north of Atlanta.
Not surprising it doesn't get that cold there.

Last edited:

22/7

Joined Mar 20, 2017
Confirming:
Chattanooga had 3 nights below freezing in Feb 2017. Not a lot of cold there.
I know it's OT but I love to tell people Chattanooga has 6 weeks of winter and that's being very generous.

Thank you all for you help with this wire+battery+weather station problem, you all helped and I am glad to know some smart people are here to help laymen. :)