Will 2V 3.6A blow diode 1N4001

Ilnarello

Joined Jul 13, 2015
Hello fellows,

long story short, I built solar board with 2V and 3.6A
Can I put diode 1N4001 with specs 50V 1A and will it work?
My vision of this output from solar board is 7.2W and diode can handle 50W. Is my believe true?!)))
Or diode will output only 1A since my board is not really powerful?
Or my current simply blow the diode?
Who can give an answer?

crutschow

Joined Mar 14, 2008
The rating of the 1N4001 is 1A so if that current is exceeded the diode will likely fail.
That's why it's rated at 1A maximum.

dl324

Joined Mar 30, 2015
long story short, I built solar board with 2V and 3.6A
Can I put diode 1N4001 with specs 50V 1A and will it work?
My vision of this output from solar board is 7.2W and diode can handle 50W. Is my believe true?!)))
You're confusing the reverse breakdown voltage with the voltage when the diode is forward biased. 1N400x diodes are rated at 1A average forward current and up to 30A briefly (16.7mS). Reverse breakdown voltage is 50V, but forward voltage is 0.5-1.1V; depending on current and temperature.

ScottWang

Joined Aug 23, 2012
The Rating Pd of 1N4001 is 3W, but you better use it less than 1W, and when the current reach to 1A then the voltage drop is 1.1V, so the output voltage will be Vo=2V-1.1V=0.9V, what you can do for only 0.9V?

What is your Load and how is the V/I and resistance?

Another thing should be concern is rating 1A then you just don't use it over 0.5A, the better is 0.3A, if you want to output 1A, at least you have to find a 2A or 3A(1N5401) diode.

Alec_t

Joined Sep 17, 2013
Does your solar board have a built-in diode? If so, you don't need the external one. If not, then a Schottky power diode would give a lower voltage drop than a 1Nxxxx diode.

AnalogKid

Joined Aug 1, 2013
My vision of this output from solar board is 7.2W and diode can handle 50W. Is my believe true?!
No. Your are combining two mutually exclusive parts of the diode's specifications incorrectly. The diode can *not* handle 50 W, and that is not how to calculate a diode's power handling capabilities. The diode can withstand 50 V when it is not conducting any current. That is the maximum voltage it can "block" before it fails, and is called its reverse voltage rating. When a diode has a reverse voltage on it, it is "handling" zero watts. Or, the diode can conduct up to 1 A when there is very little voltage across it, called its forward voltage rating. More current than this and it will fail. In this case the diode is *dissipating* about 1 W, but the amount of power it is passing through to its load depends on the source voltage. In you application you need a diode rated for 5 or 6 A. Because you panel voltage is so low, you should use a Shottkey diode for best efficiency.

ak

Ilnarello

Joined Jul 13, 2015
Short story long. I built bigger solar panel with 15v, so i had left over cells. I have decided to experiment with encapsulation an build that 2v panel. I think what can i use it for?! I was thinking about charging AA batteries that connected in parallel.