Wide input range power supply

polhstromar

Joined Feb 4, 2017
Hello
I am looking for a 2-5W power supply with an input voltage range from 12V DC to 230V AC. Output voltage isn't that important (somewhere between 5-24V).
If you google threads title you get complete information for a 24V DC to 240V AC PSU. But I can't find one that would start at 12V.
I am guessing it is posible to make this kind of PSU since there are time relays on market that accept this wide range voltage.

regards Matej

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
Hello
I am looking for a 2-5W power supply with an input voltage range from 12V DC to 230V AC. Output voltage isn't that important (somewhere between 5-24V).
If you google threads title you get complete information for a 24V DC to 240V AC PSU. But I can't find one that would start at 12V.
I am guessing it is posible to make this kind of PSU since there are time relays on market that accept this wide range voltage.

regards Matej
Not likely you will find such a power supply.
You have to limit your input range.
Choose one or the other:
  1. 12VDC to 24DC
  2. 90VAC to 240VAC

You cannot have both on the same power supply without going to a lot of trouble.

polhstromar

Joined Feb 4, 2017
For microcontroller with 2 sensors and 2 relays.
I would like to have a universal power supply so that it can be connected to either 12V battery or 230V AC

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
For microcontroller with 2 sensors and 2 relays.
I would like to have a universal power supply so that it can be connected to either 12V battery or 230V AC
Then you build a 230VAC to 12VDC power supply. No need to be universal.

Your MCU board accepts 12VDC from either source using steering diodes.

polhstromar

Joined Feb 4, 2017
Then you build a 230VAC to 12VDC power supply. No need to be universal.

Your MCU board accepts 12VDC from either source using steering diodes.
I know this is one way of doing it. But I would like to have a universal solution.
If I wanted a easy solution I wouldn't be asking.

tcmtech

Joined Nov 4, 2013
Where do you plan to use it being there is no where in the world where that range of voltage and current types can be found in one single source on one single electrical socket.

That and for all practical purposes you will never find a common accessible power source that would justify such a range of inputs either.

Either you have access to the standard 85 - 250 VAC 50 - 60 Hz AC wall socket power or you have 12 - 24 volt DC found in vehicles and commercial equipment that comes from a standardized power port socket.

Either way there are already mass produced devices that plug into both on the market that are way cheaper to buy than anything you will ever come close to designing and building yourself.

Universal AC/DC 12 - 24 VDC /100 - 240 VAC to 5 VDC 1 amp USB adapter. $4.

https://www.amazon.com/Charger-BoxWave®-VersaCharger-PRO-Wall/dp/B0007PLXS6

polhstromar

Joined Feb 4, 2017
Ofcourse there is no power outlet with this voltage range. But this kind of power supply would be idiot proof and no one could make a wrong connection.

The cost of this power supply is not an issue. I am only seeking information because I would like to know if it is possible to build one.

And it is. But it has very poor efficiency and is non-isolated.
http://www.ti.com/tool/PMP11287

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
Ofcourse there is no power outlet with this voltage range. But this kind of power supply would be idiot proof and no one could make a wrong connection.

The cost of this power supply is not an issue. I am only seeking information because I would like to know if it is possible to build one.

And it is. But it has very poor efficiency and is non-isolated.
http://www.ti.com/tool/PMP11287
So get the chip and build one. I don't understand the problem here.

ian field

Joined Oct 27, 2012
Hello

regards Matej
My first ever cordless shaver did that - it used the same lead configuration for both 12V and 220V. It could run with a flat battery when plugged into the mains, but could only charge from 12V.

There was also a black & white portable TV that could be plugged straight into either 12V or 220V - but I can't remember the make/model, tracking down the service manual from one of the archives could be a bit of an adventure.

tcmtech

Joined Nov 4, 2013
But this kind of power supply would be idiot proof and no one could make a wrong connection.
That's what standardized plugs and sockets for the different voltages and currents were invented for.
There is no mass produced plug and socket set for any DC voltage application that comes close to being able to fit any standardized AC power source and vice versa making the concept of some idiot plugging a low voltage DC device into a higher voltage AC source by accident impossible.

ian field

Joined Oct 27, 2012
That's what standardized plugs and sockets for the different voltages and currents were invented for.
There is no mass produced plug and socket set for any DC voltage application that comes close to being able to fit any standardized AC power source and vice versa making the concept of some idiot plugging a low voltage DC device into a higher voltage AC source by accident impossible.
Experience tells me its a lot more possible than you think - they just cut the plug off and jam the wires in the mains socket.

tcmtech

Joined Nov 4, 2013
Experience tells me its a lot more possible than you think - they just cut the plug off and jam the wires in the mains socket.
That's a situation that goes beyond accidental let alone plausibly common being it requires deliberate modification of one or more components to be accomplished.