Why your avatar?...

tracecom

Joined Apr 16, 2010
And it's a rather noble message you're conveying, I daresay. May I ask if you or someone you know have ever had a an incident or close call due to one of those irresponsible text-drivers?
I don't know anyone personally who was killed by another texting driver, but a former student of mine wrecked her car and died of her injuries as a result of texting while driving. Another young woman in the small town where I live also had a horrific wreck for the same reason; she survived, but is unable to care for herself or her daughter.

Personally, I was driving alone on the interstate highway, and foolishly decided to set the clock on my new car. I looked up just in time to see the back of a slow moving low-boy carrying a piece of heavy equipment in my lane. I had no time to hit the brakes, and just reflexively jerked the steering wheel to the left. I missed the trailer and felt my car up on two wheels; amazingly, it didn't roll. In a couple of seconds, I learned a valuable lesson about distracted driving...essentially for free.

Last edited:

Joined Nov 30, 2010
I sometimes wonder if anyone has any clue at all as to what mine is
I thought it was a horse being rescued from being stuck on some rocks. Then I did a close up and decided it is a human going down a hole.

Been there, done that, have better photos.

Aleph(0)

Joined Mar 14, 2015
As regards my avatar -- let's just say its subject (as pictured -- and quite despite the silly costume) seems to embrace those most exalted human qualities - to wit boundless: Intellect, wisdom, courage, strength of character, perspective and independence of mind -
HP you're being just narcissistic cuz I say your avatar totally looks like you even though it isn't:rolleyes: So I'm saying remember to send invitation when _tie the knot_ with your mirror reflection:p

Now playing fair I say about my avatar! I'm average Pole trapped in Anglo Saxon body:( So I compensate maladjustment with Polish avatar:D

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
Are you a Freemason? -- That's quite the achievement/status 'round here!:)

Best regards
HP
While William Marsden is an endowed (lifetime) member, I am not that person any more. For financial reasons (and the fact I'm not dead) we let it be, but I don't consider myself a member of that fraternity any more for obvious reasons. I have the highest respect for the organization, and remember my time as one very fondly. I would recommend it for anyone that is qualified.

atferrari

Joined Jan 6, 2004
Mine relates to a personal situation involving one of those bugs and a beautiful lady who, for reasons she only knows, vanished little by little from my life. I took the option to remember the good moments instead of feeling sad and alone.

Some time later, I run across this, written by one of our best authors. I would not dare to translate that text because I could fail miserably. Sorry! Hope you can.

Enough said from my side.

Attachments

cmartinez

Joined Jan 17, 2007
I would not dare to translate that text because I could fail miserably.
Jorge Luís Borges! ... no wonder you feel reverence for what he's wrote! ... how about I give it a try and translate it... see if I can do it a little justice? ... and of course, I won't post it without your approval.

Jorge Luís Borges! ... no wonder you feel reverence for what he's wrote! ... how about I give it a try and translate it... see if I can do it a little justice? ... and of course, I won't post it without your approval.
Yes; why not César. PM any time.
Remarkably, 'Google Translate' makes a 'fair fist' of it -- will wonders never cease???:)