Why resistor and LED is in place in this schematic?

quintaar

Joined Apr 28, 2016
Hi.
I'm trying to understand this module, and I cant figure out why R1 and L1 is on the board. Forgive me use of DA1 as I was not able to find the 3pin bi-colour LED, common cathode. (I'm able to use it but can't figure out the design choice.)

r1 =1000ohms (102 SMD)
initially I thought this is linked parallel between one anode and a cathode, I have no access to the module right now, so cannot confirm the layout of the back of this PCB.
If someone could break this down for me I would appreciate!

LED-006 (1).jpg

schemeit-project.png

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
Those components are likely part of a boost circuit allowing the LED to operate off a low voltage. Can only guess without seeing more.

quintaar

Joined Apr 28, 2016
Hi again.
I have checked the back PCB which confirmed the diagram being done correctly. Middle pin from the schematic is a ground one. I'm trying to Figure out the purpose of L1+R1 loop, my understanding is if V is too low to meet forward V of DA1 it will illuminate the L1, but then it will treat the opposite 'anode' as GND?
(not having data sheet for the module sucks)
If FV of DA1 is met, I assume resistance of the DA1 is lower than R1, and L1 is no longer emitting light - for either of the anodes being used, and the same goes for supplying Fv sufficient to power DA1 and enable the 3rd colour?
Am I incorrect?

Thanks for your input

Attachments

ScottWang

Joined Aug 23, 2012
1. Please take two clear pictures for double sides of PCB, I want to check the details.
2. I can't see the R1 and L1.
3. The three pins LED could be the common cathode, so the middle pin connecting to GND, and other two pins in series a current limits resistor for each pin and connecting to +Vcc.

quintaar

Joined Apr 28, 2016
Here is the back of pcb.
(im unable to run the multimeter tests till Sunday) as I'm not home same goes for high quality pictures but there was enough detail to figure out the layout and schematic. I'm 99% sure I did it correctly. Thanks for looking into it.

received_1319908041358679.jpg

ScottWang

Joined Aug 23, 2012
You just bought this product or it has other device?
The circuit looks like used for some ac signal as pulse or special indicator, for a +5V application, normally the loop1 is Vi1 Rled1 CR(common resistor) to GND and the loop2 is Vi2 Gled1 CR(common resistor) to GND, when the Vi1 = high(5V) and the Vi2 = low(0V) then the L1 will be light up, the colors of led just for explanation.

received_1319908041358679_new.jpg

quintaar

Joined Apr 28, 2016
Excellent breakdown of this thank you.
It was one of the modules from 37in1 arduino/RPI kits available at chinese resellers, and before I obliterate my board or a module by trying it blindly i wanted to check if i understand whats going on correctly.
Actually - nvm about the follow up question. Got that figured out. Thanks again for taking the time

hp1729

Joined Nov 23, 2015
1. Please take two clear pictures for double sides of PCB, I want to check the details.
2. I can't see the R1 and L1.
3. The three pins LED could be the common cathode, so the middle pin connecting to GND, and other two pins in series a current limits resistor for each pin and connecting to +Vcc.
R1 and L1 are the SMD components.

hp1729

Joined Nov 23, 2015
Hi.
I'm trying to understand this module, and I cant figure out why R1 and L1 is on the board. Forgive me use of DA1 as I was not able to find the 3pin bi-colour LED, common cathode. (I'm able to use it but can't figure out the design choice.)

r1 =1000ohms (102 SMD)
initially I thought this is linked parallel between one anode and a cathode, I have no access to the module right now, so cannot confirm the layout of the back of this PCB.
If someone could break this down for me I would appreciate!

View attachment 105181

View attachment 105079
It looks like it was intended for more than one exercise. R1 and L1 is one exercise. The other LED is a different exercise.

quintaar

Joined Apr 28, 2016
I think the L1R1 loop is just an 'info' loop to indicate the power draw. the main purpose of course being bi colour LED