Why one of my acid batteries smell rotten eggs while equalizing?

Steve Tremblay 2

Joined Jan 2, 2018
Hi guys
I'm equalizing several of my lead acid batteries. One of these batteries smells rotten eggs (Hydrogen sulfide) while equalizing. All of my batteries were equalized with the same voltage and with the same current and my others batteries don't have this smell. If you know what cause this smell, please share. thanks

AlbertHall

Joined Jun 4, 2014
From the battery university:
Over-charging a lead acid battery can produce hydrogen sulfide. The gas is colorless, very poisonous, flammable and has the odor of rotten eggs. Hydrogen sulfide also occurs naturally during the breakdown of organic matter in swamps and sewers; it is present in volcanic gases, natural gas and some well waters. Being heavier than air, the gas accumulates at the bottom of poorly ventilated spaces. Although noticeable at first, the sense of smell deadens the sensation with time and potential victims may be unaware of its presence.

As a simple guideline, hydrogen sulfide becomes harmful to human life if the odor is noticeable. Turn off the charger, vent the facility and stay outside until the odor disappears.

Steve Tremblay 2

Joined Jan 2, 2018
Are you sure it's the battery.........Steve?
Yes it's the battery. The be honest, I was little surprise the battery smell rotten eggs because I have no problem with my others batteries. I'm using the same charger, with same voltage and with same current. This is the reason why I want to know why this specific battery smell rotten egg while It was being equalized.

GopherT

Joined Nov 23, 2012
The balancer is trying to get the weakest cell up to the target voltage even though it is chemically or physically impossible because of a manufacturing flaw or unit failure. I suggest taking it out of service before the balancer causes more damage to the battery.

What are the reviews on the balancer? Have other people had this issue? Is it known for not handling bad cells properly (giving up rather that force charging until H2S is generated).

Aleph(0)

Joined Mar 14, 2015
Define very. Would most people consider H2S as "very" poisonous if a human couldn't stand the stench at the concentration needed to poison themselves.
Gophert problem with H2S is ppl go _nose blind_ to it very fast! So with just irritant SO2 I agree that odor usually chases them away before harm is done but H2S is totally a different animal!

Moderators note : Please do NOT use short text.

Last edited by a moderator:

Steve Tremblay 2

Joined Jan 2, 2018
The balancer is trying to get the weakest cell up to the target voltage even though it is chemically or physically impossible because of a manufacturing flaw or unit failure. I suggest taking it out of service before the balancer causes more damage to the battery.

What are the reviews on the balancer? Have other people had this issue? Is it known for not handling bad cells properly (giving up rather that force charging until H2S is generated).
I guess when you say balancer you mean the charger I use to equalize my battery. If it's yes, the balancer I use is a laptop power supply wired with a dc/dc step down converter. I set the voltage to 15V and current to 2A and I equalize my battery about 4 to 8hrs.

AlbertHall

Joined Jun 4, 2014
Would most people consider H2S as "very" poisonous if a human couldn't stand the stench at the concentration needed to poison themselves.
If it starts at a low concentration and then grows, it kills off your sense of smell so when there is enough of it to kill you can't smell it at all.