why npn tr not suitable as switch

alfacliff

Joined Dec 13, 2013
the one you design the switch for. as voltage rating, current rating, speed rating, polarity and such. also whether you are using high side or low side switching.

crutschow

Joined Mar 14, 2008
A BJT has a small offset as well as base current that goes into the channel when used as a switch. A FET has no offset or gate current, and just looks like a resistor when used as a switch. That's why FETs are usually preferred for switching analog signals.

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
why npn tr not suitable as switch for analog signals
A FET is usually preferred, but I wouldn't say an NPN BJT is "not suitable". It can perform just fine as a switch. If you have just 1V to put on the base or gate, it's the best game in town.

crutschow

Joined Mar 14, 2008
A FET is usually preferred, but I wouldn't say an NPN BJT is "not suitable". It can perform just fine as a switch. If you have just 1V to put on the base or gate, it's the best game in town.
A BJT can work well as a digital or power switch. But you should note that the offsets of a BJT can be problematic in low level analog signal switching.

kubeek

Joined Sep 20, 2005
Unless OP is talking about an analog switch like CD4066, then I have to say I havent seen one made with bipolar transistors. Do such even exist?

crutschow

Joined Mar 14, 2008
Unless OP is talking about an analog switch like CD4066, then I have to say I havent seen one made with bipolar transistors. Do such even exist?
Not in integrated form, but you could conceivably make one from discretes.
Many years ago I worked on a FLIR system that used a 175 channel 10.5 MHz analog multiplexer consisting of discrete BJT switches. It used an unusual configuration where the output consisted of a series of emitter followers sharing a common emitter resistor. Each base was connected to an IR preamp detector output and the analog switching was performed by sequentially turning on the collectors of each emitter follower. The emitter follower transistors were matched to minimize Vbe offset difference between each transistor. Worked quite well.

studiot

Joined Nov 9, 2007
why npn tr not suitable as switch for analog signals
The more you put into your question the better folks will be able to help and the more you will get out.

We have no idea from this what you want to do or why, or even if it is just a passing question over a beer that you have already forgotten.

It is you question and your problem, so you need to help people help you.

Alec_t

Joined Sep 17, 2013
Here you go:
NPNasAnalogueSwitch.gif
There are slight glitches at the start and end of the switching period, and some attenuation, but otherwise the AC signal is gated with little distortion.