Why does HV programming of an Attiny85 not work?

sumeryamaner

Joined May 29, 2017
I have purchased a batch of Attiny85s from Aliexpress. I normally use USBTiny device to program my Attiny85s. But these chips from Aliexpress could not be programmed in the usual way.
I built a circuit on a perfboard for high voltage programming using an Arduino Uno. My problem is that I can reset the fuses of my other Attiny85s but not of my new chips from Aliexpress. Can I say that the new chips are faulty or is there another way to recover them?
Thank you very much for your suggestions and help.

DickCappels

Joined Aug 21, 2008
They cannot be programmed with either ISP or high voltage programming? Can you read the device signature (ID)?
If it does not act like a known-read, known-good ATTINY85 I would assume the chips are either defective or some other device that was relabeled.

sumeryamaner

Joined May 29, 2017
They cannot be programmed with either ISP or high voltage programming? Can you read the device signature (ID)?
If it does not act like a known-read, known-good ATTINY85 I would assume the chips are either defective or some other device that was relabeled.
I also think that they are relabeled chips because the device signature is 0!

I don't use that chip, but I always like to read about these issues when they come up - probably to get it clear in my head that saving money sometimes costs a great deal :)

Have you seen this thread? It seems to contain a lot of information on the issue.

sumeryamaner

Joined May 29, 2017
I have a few samples from the ATMEL locker I could send if you PM me.
View attachment 166862
Thank you very much. I have purchased from local dealers.

I don't use that chip, but I always like to read about these issues when they come up - probably to get it clear in my head that saving money sometimes costs a great deal :)
You are right but you know, this is called "experience"! :D

Have you seen this thread? It seems to contain a lot of information on the issue.
Thanks a lot. I have read the thread and then thrown away the 20 faulty chips. :)

DickCappels

Joined Aug 21, 2008
Buying from a local (authorized) source is a good move.

You might feel a little better about the experience if you Widlarize the chips. The analog IC engineer Bob Widlar would give faulty chips special treatment to make sure they would never caused him problems again.
upload_2019-1-3_18-15-23.png

sumeryamaner

Joined May 29, 2017
Buying from a local (authorized) source is a good move.

You might feel a little better about the experience if you Widlarize the chips. The analog IC engineer Bob Widlar would give faulty chips special treatment to make sure they would never caused him problems again.
View attachment 167048
Noooo! I do not like such brutal solutions. I have more advanced plans like connecting 220V to the chips. You know. It is recommended to use high voltage programming to reset bricked microcontrollers. I don't think 12V is really a "high voltage"! :D