Why does a copper coil stop circuit from working?

Tony Spence

Joined Dec 20, 2013
Can you describe how you tested your coils? Was it perhaps by direct connection to a power supply?

Your circuit is the right idea and is exactly how I would do it, but the 4017 outputs need to be amplified with external transistors. A transistor array which contains multiple transistors in one package might be a handy option. See ULN2803 or ULN2003.

Hi again, I ended up changing the circuit I made as i need a circuit that can fire 7 coils (like an LED Chaser with 7 lights) and handle any backward current from the coil, is there a basic circuit i can modify

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
...I ended up changing the circuit I made ...
I'm lost. Where are we now? We need a schematic.

..how do I get it to deplete its energy ...
Once the current flow stops, the magnetic field collapses and the energy is gone. You don't really need to do anything except prevent the resulting inductive voltage spike from damaging other parts of the circuit. A reverse-biased diode is used for this.

Last edited:

Tony Spence

Joined Dec 20, 2013
I'm lost. Where are we now? We need a schematic.
right now i dont have a schematic but i am attempting to use the 555 timer circuit with a 4022 to produce the pulses but i think the coils are giving me i think emf feed back. this is the only pic i could find close enough to my work for now but i am not using this actual circuit let me explain:

simple-pulse-generator-by-ic-555-timer.jpg

4022 circuit.gif

I am using the 555 timer pulse connecting the output to the 4022 pin 14 input and i have not added the blue circuit to the left of the 4022 but i have connected pin 16 and 8 with a capacitor, and pin 15 to pin 10 for the divide by 7 pulse. When i connect a coil to pin two do i connect the the other leg of the coil to ground?

Moderators note: removed extra of the same image

Last edited by a moderator:

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
What do we know about these coils? The 4022 can only source or sink ~5mA, and that's barely enough to light an LED, let alone drive a coil.
I think you'll want the 4022 output to drive the gate of an N-type MOSFET. The source pin will be at ground, and the drain pin will sit below your coil. The MOSFET will control the return to ground for the power loop of your coil. You'll want a snubber diode across the poles of the coil, to absorb that inductive spike when the MOSFET turns off the energized coil.

I don't quite understand the input scheme you are describing. Is the lower diagram your own? Are you trying to count the times the "heavy load" is switched on?

Tony Spence

Joined Dec 20, 2013
What do we know about these coils? The 4022 can only source or sink ~5mA, and that's barely enough to light an LED, let alone drive a coil.
I think you'll want the 4022 output to drive the gate of an N-type MOSFET. The source pin will be at ground, and the drain pin will sit below your coil. The MOSFET will control the return to ground for the power loop of your coil. You'll want a snubber diode across the poles of the coil, to absorb that inductive spike when the MOSFET turns off the energized coil.

I don't quite understand the input scheme you are describing. Is the lower diagram your own? Are you trying to count the times the "heavy load" is switched on?

I managed to get my mate to draw up my circuit which looks like this:
dgfasfdasdasdas.jpg

Moderators note : removed the extra of the same images

Last edited by a moderator:

djsfantasi

Joined Apr 11, 2010
First, each coil is going to create a back EMF spike when it turns off. Your poor little 4022s are going to release magic smoke. Each coil needs a diode in parallel, with the anode connected to ground.

The 4022s may be ok, because your poor little 4022s won't be able to supply enough current to drive the coils. You will need a MOSFET to drive enough current for the coils.

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
Right, as described in #66, the 4022 won't be able to drive more than ~5mA into any one of those coils. But with the MOSFET solution, the coil will see the full 9V supply. Can your coil survive direct connection to the 9V supply, or will they require something to limit the current?

ian field

Joined Oct 27, 2012
No. A copper coil is going to short the outputs of the 4017. When one output is trying to go HIGH, all the current will flow into all the other outputs which are sinking current. You are creating a dead short across the power supply through the outputs of the poor 4017.
If the TS used a fast enough clock; the pulses would be too short to saturate the inductor, and at the point of the pulse ending, a back emf would be produced.

To get inductors to do anything useful at sensible clock speeds, the TS would have to build a monostable for each and every output.

Tony Spence

Joined Dec 20, 2013
Right, as described in #66, the 4022 won't be able to drive more than ~5mA into any one of those coils. But with the MOSFET solution, the coil will see the full 9V supply. Can your coil survive direct connection to the 9V supply, or will they require something to limit the current?

I am working with a 9v battery as i have not bought a power supply unit.

ScottWang

Joined Aug 23, 2012
I am working with a 9v battery as i have not bought a power supply unit.
If the coil is a load then it could be draw more current, so the 9V cookies battery will not enough current to support, and you also need bjts or mosfets to drive the coils, try to calculate the total current of coils, maybe uln2003 can be used.