Why does a copper coil stop circuit from working?

Tony357

Joined Mar 24, 2015
Still no answer.
Do you have the datasheet of copper coil or any infos about the copper coil?
And the questions as MrChips asked in #9?
If you want to get a properly answer then you need to offer the infos what the members asked, otherwise you won't get much help.
no i dont have a data sheet sorry as i dont really understand what is written on it mostly

Tony357

Joined Mar 24, 2015
You never know. This guy might try some hand wound coils under one millihenry. That's what R2 is about in my drawing. Otherwise, he could short out the power supply fairly quickly.
To be honest i did hand wind my coils, not sure what you mean by one millihenry and im not fully grasping your drawing please explain

thank you.

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
To be honest i did hand wind my coils, not sure what you mean by one millihenry and im not fully grasping your drawing please explain

thank you.
The unit of inductance is the henry. It is named after Joseph Henry (1797–1878), the American scientist who discovered electromagnetic induction independently of and at about the same time as Michael Faraday (1791–1867) in England. Thus a millihenry is one one-thousandth of a henry.

The drawing shows a transistor, used as a switch, to allow current to flow in the coil.

shortbus

Joined Sep 30, 2009
Wouldn't the intervals need to shorten as the projectile accelerates? I wouldn't think a uniform clock would work very well. In other words, I don't think the TS is making a rail gun. At least not a very good one.
I recall one in a magazine years ago that worked like this, but don't know if it actually worked.

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
Thanks for clarifying, Tony.

The mA output capability of the 4017 is barely enough to light an LED and is not enough to make much of a magnetic field. You will almost certainly need the current boost transistor and sketched by #12 in post #16.

It can be challenging to power a coil. Too little wire length and the DC resistance is too low, causing an excessive current draw on your power supply. This will cause the weakest link to burn up, whether it's a fuse, the coil itself, the power supply, whatever. The power supply might simply sag in voltage without burning anything up, but it's not good to rely on that.

Too much wire length gives too much DC resistance and you don't get the current you need to make a field.

Ah, TV coil wire. I believe the one I used was 28 gauge. Unless you have a lot of loops and used a lot of length, the resistance will be quite low, less than 10Ω I would guess. Easy enough to measure if you have a multimeter.

Tony357

Joined Mar 24, 2015
Thanks for clarifying, Tony.

The mA output capability of the 4017 is barely enough to light an LED and is not enough to make much of a magnetic field. You will almost certainly need the current boost transistor and sketched by #12 in post #16.

It can be challenging to power a coil. Too little wire length and the DC resistance is too low, causing an excessive current draw on your power supply. This will cause the weakest link to burn up, whether it's a fuse, the coil itself, the power supply, whatever. The power supply might simply sag in voltage without burning anything up, but it's not good to rely on that.

Too much wire length gives too much DC resistance and you don't get the current you need to make a field.

Ah, TV coil wire. I believe the one I used was 28 gauge. Unless you have a lot of loops and used a lot of length, the resistance will be quite low, less than 10Ω I would guess. Easy enough to measure if you have a multimeter.

Thanks for your reply Wayneh.

The coils i have made produce the right field, is there a circuit that can fire 7 coils one after another? As i would really like to complete this part of the project.

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
The coils i have made produce the right field, is there a circuit that can fire 7 coils one after another? As i would really like to complete this part of the project.
Can you describe how you tested your coils? Was it perhaps by direct connection to a power supply?

Your circuit is the right idea and is exactly how I would do it, but the 4017 outputs need to be amplified with external transistors. A transistor array which contains multiple transistors in one package might be a handy option. See ULN2803 or ULN2003.

Joined Nov 30, 2010
IIRC, the 4017 can be forced into, "dot" mode. One output fires at a time. To get them to sequence, you apply a ramp wave or a sawtooth wave at the input of the 4017 chip. It will go through selecting each output, one at a time, as the input voltage changes.