Why do throat mics almost always have 2 elements?

Audioguru again

Joined Oct 21, 2019
A throat mic produces sounds from your larynx (vocal cords) which are low frequency vowels. Missing are all the consonant and fricative sounds from your mouth, tongue and lips that have frequencies up to 14kHz. Then speech is mostly unintelligible.

A demo plated a guy saying numbers on a thoat mic,"Un, Oo, Ee, Or, Eye, Lick, Evven and Ae".

Joe Stavitsky

Joined Apr 5, 2020
A throat mic produces sounds from your larynx (vocal cords) which are low frequency vowels. Missing are all the consonant and fricative sounds from your mouth, tongue and lips that have frequencies up to 14kHz. Then speech is mostly unintelligible.

A demo plated a guy saying numbers on a thoat mic,"Un, Oo, Ee, Or, Eye, Lick, Evven and Ae".

And having two elements helps with that in what way, please?

KeithWalker

Joined Jul 10, 2017
My grandson is nearly 2 years old. He talks in vowels like from a throat mic and cannot be understood.
I remember many years ago we took my wife's friend's 4 year old son on holiday with our daughter who was the same age. We had been told that their family doctor had diagnose him with a speech impediment. He talked in vowels too.
The 6 million dollar man came on TV and the boy gleefully yelled "Dijojin". I realized that he was trying to say "Steve Austin". I spent a little time with him to try to get him to say it more intelligibly and found that he really could pronounce consonants. Then I realized that his "speech impediment" was really a hearing impediment. He pronounced words the way he heard them. I told that to his parents. They had his hearing checked. It was corrected after a very minor operation and his speech quickly became normal.
Maybe your grandson has a similar problem.

Audioguru again

Joined Oct 21, 2019
During the Covid-19 pandemic where TV news reporters and government people were "working from home", hearing impediments were caused by the horrible sounds caused by online muffled audio software and the "home TV studios" that are echo chambers.
Instead of hiding the microphones they should use a hand-held mic close to and in front of their mouth.

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
The throat mics that I have worn used two elements because one in the center would be very uncomfortable. Also, because the communication with those was important, redundancy was provided. Of course, that was quite a few years ago, but human anatomy has not changed much since 1967