Why did Microchip decide to not support the peripheral library?

spinnaker

Joined Oct 29, 2009
I have been away from MCUs (and electronics in general for that matter) and maybe it happened while I was working in the hobby but just missed it. I came back to find the peripheral library from Microchip is no longer supported (at least for the 8 bit chips and using XC8 their latest C compiler).

I know the library had some issues but the uart library worked ok (I think the spi library did too). Why did Microchip decide to not support the peripheral library? Is the product line getting too vast for Microchip to support a library?

spinnaker

Joined Oct 29, 2009
Now they have the 'code configurator' which writes the code for you!

Thanks I checked it out.

I am getting this:

upload_2016-12-5_14-20-3.png

I checked out the site but I don't see where it is listing supported devices. It is an awfully busy site.

There is this

upload_2016-12-5_14-22-15.png

But it is not clickable. You would think you could click the image and get a list.

I am using the 18F26J53.

AlbertHall

Joined Jun 4, 2014
It is fairly new and support is growing. I don't know what percentage of devices are covered. It must be difficult for the developers as they introduce new chips at a prodigious rate.

spinnaker

Joined Oct 29, 2009
It is fairly new and support is growing. I don't know what percentage of devices are covered. It must be difficult for the developers as they introduce new chips at a prodigious rate.

You would think they would have full support or close to full before they pulled the plug on the peripheral library.

I am in the midst of just plugging the relevant code into my code. Seems easier than trying to recomiple theier mass of code.

Where is the supported list of devices found for MCC?

spinnaker

Joined Oct 29, 2009
Here: http://www.microchip.com/mplab/mplab-code-configurator
Down the bottom of that page look at the release notes for the device library version you have.
The latest version appears to include your device as a new entry - "31. PIC18FxxJ6x "

Man I must be blind. All I see is a pdf for release notes with this

9 Supported Families
For the list of supported families, refer to the release notes of respective family.

inside.

And I have the J53 so 31. PIC18FxxJ6x would not be it.