Why capacitor has 4 terminals?

vignesh waran 1

Joined Oct 5, 2016
Hi

Can you some one tell me the "B32776G8306" Parallel wire lead, 4-pin capacitor, this is 2 capacitor array or single capacitor with 2 parallel wire leaded capacitor.

Metallized Polypropylene Film Capacitors (MKP)
1575876502890.png

Rehards,
Vignesh.

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
Welcome to AAC.

Do you have a multimeter and can measure resistance between terminals. If parallel, you should have 2 sets of 2 connected. If separate, no sets. If common ground then only 2 connected.

Tonyr1084

Joined Sep 24, 2015
Extra leads are for more secure mounting for use in higher shock and vibration situations. Some cases they can be parallel leads and in other cases they can simply be for mounting purposes. With capacitors they can also be multiple caps, though that doesn't make much sense. You usually want a cap close to a chip. Having a bunch of caps in a remote location can't be useful in that instance. However, I've built capacitor array's for use in timing circuits where I could change the capacitance with a switch to achieve shorter or longer RC constants.

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
Hi

Can you some one tell me the "B32776G8306" Parallel wire lead, 4-pin capacitor, this is 2 capacitor array or single capacitor with 2 parallel wire leaded capacitor.

Metallized Polypropylene Film Capacitors (MKP)
View attachment 194137

Rehards,
Vignesh.
Some capacitors intended to serve as bypass capacitors, have 2 terminals to avoid any series inductance or resistance to the signal being bypassed. It makes good sense in theory, I am not certain as to how effective it is. Also, for a capacitor that large it would need more than two attachment points to adequately hold it to the circuit board. So it may also be a mechanical attachment option. Vibration can easily break component leads.

ronsimpson

Joined Oct 7, 2019
Some of those capacitor have a internal resistance of 0.0013 ohms. I think a single lead (with out a capacitor) can not do that.
I have uses this type of capacitor where I am pushing 20 amps peak through a cap at 150khz. These parts will get hot if the ESR is not low. By looking at the self resonant frequency (100khz to 1mhz) these caps are designed for high frequency. Lead inductance is important.
Agreed, vibration and lead breakage is a problem with any large capacitor.